Main Menu

Bracelet disaster

Started by Shirl, February 09, 2011, 10:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirl

I made a bracelet last night with some of my lampies, inspired by a book I got from the library.

It is just not right. It does not sit nicely on the wrist, the links seem to be too long and they stick up, so it will have to be taken apart again. It a good thing I am only practicing with silver plated wire. :D

It is also too long and so I didn't bother putting a clasp on as I knew I would be taking it apart again.

Constructive criticism would be most welcome.

I think it might be an idea to thread the beads onto a wire, but the types of wire available is just bewildering and when I go on-line to order some I just don't know which to choose, so end up with none!!!!

Mand

HI, it's very pretty, lovely lampies.  I think you probably need jump rings between each section?  I made a necklace the same last year and mine didn't sit right either.  I felt my links were too long.  How about removing the lilac beads either side and making separate sections for them?  I'm not explaining my self very well..  I mean lampie, washer either side then close with loops at each end, then a jump ring then next section with lilac bead, a silver washer either side then close then join onto jump ring to lampie section? :P

Les

It might just be my personal preference, but bracelets with long wire wrapped links between large-ish lampies never feel very comfortable on my wrist.

If you want to go down the stringing route, I'd suggest trying some beadalon beading wire ... I think you can get either 19 or 45 strand ?
Maybe try some matching, smaller accent lampies, or some nice silver beads in between the bigger ones ?

I love those colours you used .. they sit so well with the swaro's :)

jammie

Lovely lampies, I think  if you wanted to keep it wire wrapped loops if each 'unit' was shorter it would be more flexible and sit better.

hollergrafik

I love the colour combination, I would also go down the Beadalon route, maybe where the the space for the wire wrapping would be add some purple or lime spacers with a nice sterling clasp, live one of Georges chunky ones, they look fab on bracelets and are very sturdy. The wire wrapping is very neat too.

Lush!

Or leather?  With the crimp on cord ends - and one of George's clasps of course!

Kinda like this http://juliefountain.blogspot.com/2010/06/super-simple-one-tool-bracelet-tutorial.html

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Blue Kiln Beads

They are lovely lampies, I really like the colour combo, looking forward to seeing the adjusted version....
Yvette Goodridge
www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com
www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

Diane

I think making the sections smaller (think this has been said before) and the addition of a single (or double) jump ring between the sections would give greater flexibility.  The beads and colour combinations are lovely.
Diane x

amareargentum

Having tried both methods I would plump for the heavy weight Beadalon. I use the one that says it is suitable for lampwork beads and gemstones (sorry can't remember the exact one and am not near my supply at the moment). To me wire wrapping feels like it ought to be more secure but they never sit right on my wrist. If going down the beadalon route then don't forget to include some small beads, like your lilac ones, in between the lampies so that the bracelet stays flexible.
Love the colours by the way.

JaySpangles

Have had exactly the same problem.  I really liked the idea of wire wrapping loops myself, and combining with little coloured beads, but like everyone else the bracelet was awkward.  It doesn't help when you include the tiny beads before the loops because it makes the sections even longer.
I now mainly use Stretch Magic elastic or similar, or heavy beadalon, but I always double up all crimps.
Colours are great,  You will love it when you finally sort it.

Josephine

I agree. I have been through phases of doing wire wrapped or rigid bangle style bracelets on one piece of wire with a clasp but I much prefer the feel of strung beads. Go for the .24mm softflex or beadalon and, as already advised, make sure you put some smaller beads between the lampwork to keep it nice and flexible. Take care with the crimping and for really a nice finish use wire guards to cover the bit of wire that goes through the clasp.

Shirl

Thanks for all the advice, I will have another play tonight and try out all your suggestions. I know now that long links don't look right on a bracelet, lesson learned the hard way :D I will try shorter links and some dangles too.  (I made some small beads to go with them in the same colours.)

As it is I feel it works OK as a necklace, (photo below on some cord) but I wanted a bracelet and I won't rest till I get it right.

I will try stringing it on some thread, and then if it looks OK I will order some wire

I love Georges clasps, but no way am I going to use one with silver plated wire! :o

Shirl

Oh..... and I forgot to thank you all for the lovely compliments on my work ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

It's such a shame Shirl because you have such a good eye for colour and the way you have put them together compliments those beautiful beads perfectly. I'm no jewellery maker but if you could find a way to keep the arrangement but without the sticky up bits I think you would be sorted.

Fiona

Before you pull it all apart Shirl carefully cut every other link close to the wrap so that it opens like a jump ring (or earwires).  You can then play around with your individual units to make a bracelet you like that goes with your necklace.  Like others have said just a simple jump ring between each one could be enough for it to sit right.  I think 5 of your units and a clasp plus a few jump rings could make all the difference giving you a bracelet of the right length that sits better on your wrist with minimal work.  If you still don't like it after that and think the units are too big then pull them apart and start again.   :)

Lovely beads by the way and your necklace looks great.  ;D