Spare door for an SC2

Started by Flippopotamus, November 17, 2008, 05:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flippopotamus

Hi Glassy People,
I've recently been fusing some large-ish pieces in my SC2, which has a window and a bead door, and really noticed the difference in result due to the front-to-back temperature gradient.  For these pieces this wasn't too important, but I can imagine it being a problem in the future. 

So I was wondering if it would be possible to source a spare door anywhere, either with a window, or just plain (I'm not sure which, out of the window and the bead door, causes most temperature loss?)

Does anyone run a scrap yard for kilns?  Or is this available as an extra?  I do want to keep the existing door as I plan on learning beadmaking next year, so this rules out a swap...  And in common with all, I don't have much money to spend.....

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions???
Cheers,
Flip

♥♥Tan♥♥

It might be worth googling the uk distributors of these kilns and asking them direct, you never know what they may have tucked away?

julieHB

Ah, you can buy these doors, and if I remember correctly they cost about £125 (eeek!) :o
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Sarah

I asked about this when I bought my sc2. The advice from Rob at Paragon was that it is possible to fit another door but that it isn't recommended to keep changing the door.

I stuff the bead door with a ceramic fibre blanket when I fuse to help keep the heat gradient more stable.

Sarah

glassworks

i am sure i have spare plain doors here?.. they are really easy to switch as well?.. i can have a look in the barn if you like?..
8)

dangerousbead

Quote from: Sarah on November 17, 2008, 07:25:14 PM
I asked about this when I bought my sc2. The advice from Rob at Paragon was that it is possible to fit another door but that it isn't recommended to keep changing the door.

I stuff the bead door with a ceramic fibre blanket when I fuse to help keep the heat gradient more stable.

Sarah

Rats! Wish I'd thought of that, I'm running my second attempt at fusing right now. Too late to stuff anything anywhere