erm, 'interesting' request from a customer...

Started by lampworklover, June 23, 2010, 08:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lampworklover

Someone has contacted me and asked if I could make her a heart shaped pendant which includes, wait for it..........horse (and / or dog) HAIR  :o

My initial reaction was to say that whilst it is sometimes possible to include 'extras' in limited quantities in glass, the melting temperature of glass would vapourise hair in a nanosecond.

...........unless I'm missing something obvious? LOL

SilverGems89

hmmmm unless there are new rare breeds of flame retardant horses and dogs your right the hair would burn instantly  ;D

garishglobes

Yup  ;D  But that's no reason not to include it... it just won't be seen ;D ;D

Or you could add it on afterwards. If you look at Pipyr's beast tutorial for example, the beasts have a hole poked in for hair glued in afterwards as a tail. Could be adapted??

Josephine

i've seen someone on one of the US forums doing beads with hair in . Maybe it is a hollow bead with hair poked in the holes and then capped as made up into a pendant. I didn't pay much attention as i thought they were a bit yukky. Will see if i can find a link for you.

Billie

Lush!

Check out this website that I came across a while ago www.equihearts.co.uk they do a heart including hair for £69!  And look at the 'how they're made' page - it does say that the hair vapourises, "capturing the spirit" of the horse!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

lampworklover

I'm astonished!! I had wondered about including them in hollow, but thought it might look too gross for words!

Thanks for the links.....I might need to have a practice, just don't tell my dogs why I'm chopping chunks off them  :o ;D ;D

Mary

Or a vessel? There is no real need to have the hair visible, if you used opaques or a dark colour, unless that's what your customer wants. I have heard of vessels holding locks of baby hair, or a few ashes, just a keepsake that nobody knows what it is unless you tell them.

Kaz

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

glassworks

not at all like the "interesting" requests i seem to get!.. RFLMAO over here...  ;D

lampworklover

Quote from: glassworks on June 23, 2010, 10:35:25 PM
not at all like the "interesting" requests i seem to get!.. RFLMAO over here...  ;D

oh, do tell  ;D

flowerjasper

i have a book "knitting with dog hair"....am sure it would work with horse hair  ;)

Redhotsal

Plenty of horse hair in old sofas and even mixed into the lime plaster in old walls. Why not in beads too!?  ;)