Main Menu

A 'Blue' problem!!!

Started by lyzzydee, April 18, 2012, 08:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyzzydee

I have recently bought a bead roller from Jammie and I love it, at last I can make regular shaped beads. So to try and make a set I decided to make a group of spotty beads. I am pleased with them but the blue ones have had a bit of a strange reaction. The blue is streaked with red, it hasn't affected any other beads and I have checked my work area that hasn't got any stray red stuff on there.

I haven't been able to work out posting here, so there is a picture on my blog, http://lyzzydee.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/more-beads.html

Has anyone got any ideas?? Its effetre light sky blue.

Thanks

sarah t

over heating or reducing flame ,most of the blues in the sky blue turquoise  eff range can do it ...you can remove it with cillet bang grime and lime or coca cola ( i think those where the two ) but never had much luck with removing it it

jammie

I think its a copper reaction in the blue with a reducing flame, I get that too sometimes, I find some blues a really difficult colour but I use a lot of them, sky blue and turquoise blues seem to have this reaction more. Had a look on your blog, the beads are lovely! Very pleased I didn't have to give you a refund!  ::) ;D

Lush!

I don't think you can remove the red streaks after the bead is cooled.  If you notice it occurring while making the bead, make sure your flame is neutral, or move a little higher in the flame, then gently reheat the affected area until it glows. You should see the streak disappear.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Redhotsal

Yes, as wot Julie said - you can often reverse the streaks while the bead is hot but you have to be patient and "bathe" the bead in the top of the flame. You should see the streak change so you'll know it has worked (or not) before the bead is cool.
It's copper coming out of the glass.

sarah t

there you go thats why i never had much luck removing it  ;D .....must be other types of  'opps' you can remove with that horrible stuff

i just call them ' at sunset ' anyway  ;)

Josephine

It's the grey reduction that you can remove by etching etc.

lyzzydee

Thank you all that has helped me understand, I did see it start to happen, but thought it was one part of my bead heating up more than another part, I didn't expect it to remain after a good kilning!!!! I have learnt though so thats good!

ScarletLeonard

I got it a lot while I was on the Hot Head. Never had the problem since I moved to the Minor and work in a neutral flame.