What constitutes a good fair for you?

Started by sparrow, September 05, 2011, 06:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the minimum taking per day at a fair you would be happy with?

Stall fee back
1 (2.1%)
Stall fee + <£50
1 (2.1%)
Stall fee + £51-£100
7 (14.6%)
Stall fee + £101-£150
11 (22.9%)
Stall fee + £151-£200
8 (16.7%)
Stall fee + £201-£300
10 (20.8%)
Stall fee + £301-£500
5 (10.4%)
Stall fee + £500+
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

sparrow

Right.....I know there are lots of caveats here - fairs we do to do someone a favour, new fairs we try, fairs that are good for reputation, but not necessarily for earnings, fairs to pick up teaching...but I wondered, on average, and going by *takings* (not profit, because I think that would complicate matters further), what's your answer? What amount spells the turning point between 'waste of time' and 'worth getting out of bed for'?

I realise it's quite a personal question, but I hope one that secretly interests a few people, so an anonymous vote might give us all some insights :)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

MangoBeads

I think it depends a lot on the stand cost :) some we pay up to £400 for so obviously we would want to come away a very decent amount for that to be worthwhile  ::) so i have answered based on a stand cost of approx £100

sparrow

Thanks Manda, I tried to account for that by saying 'stall fee + xyz' - I know exactly what you mean  ;D ;D ;D
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Helen G

The Tartan Trout

Me too ladies. I have a 3 day one this weekend. My stand was £102 so we will see. It is the local RHS gardens and I have done it lots of times before at Christmas and Easter. This should be interesting as a Sept one. I tend to do well on Sat and Sundays. Fridays tends to be wee old biddys saying that everything is pretty but not worth buying stuff for themselves at their age lol and their grandkids all seem to get money or vouchers at Christmas. I will update on Sun night

laurat

if there are people there I a happy with that!

So far i have just done small events but hoping to get onto do some bgger ones next year.

Lotti

:o  So far my stall costs have bee £10 a week (would have been £8 but I haven't got my own table).  Have another one booked for November which is the princely sum of £24  :o :o.  At the mo I would be overjoyed to make £50, but who knows maybe today, nasty wet day, what are folks on holiday to do (yes they are still here) but go to a nice indoor market!  ;) ;D

nemeton

I don't do fairs much any more and bead fairs may be different from craft fairs, but my 'minimum' aim was always to double the pitch fee (so I could then at least feel I'd made as much from the fair as the organizer had).

But even this didn't happen very often... so I don't do fairs much any more  ::)
I miss the direct contact with customers, and the camaraderie with other stallholders... I don't miss lugging the boxes and the table around though!
Lynn

Keep up with me on Facebook or my blog

SRJ

I think that you need to factor in a percentage for your other expenses - the cost of glass, gas electricity as well so your takings of  £100- £150 really only comes down to perhaps £70 'wages' depending on how you work out your pricing - but then we've had this discussion on a different thread if I remember rightly.....

And yest it depends very much on the type of event and where you are......

Good luck at Rosemoor - I hope the weather improves.
Lotti - are you doing the craft fair in Tavistock in November?

Sue

The Tartan Trout

Quote from: SRJ on September 06, 2011, 01:34:49 PM
I think that you need to factor in a percentage for your other expenses - the cost of glass, gas electricity as well so your takings of  £100- £150 really only comes down to perhaps £70 'wages' depending on how you work out your pricing - but then we've had this discussion on a different thread if I remember rightly.....

Sue
I am in Tavistock at the town hall Dec 2nd and 3rd. Nice warm venue :)

Veebee

I don't even seem to be able to find any craft fairs to do in central Exeter, let alone try and work out what might constitute a good one  ::) However I like Lynn's suggestion of at least getting double the table fee  :)
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

Lotti

Quote from: SRJ on September 06, 2011, 01:34:49 PM

Sue

I guess one day it will come, but today made double the pitch, but a very wet day.  I am not at Tavi, but will be at Holsworthy in November and looks like there might be one starting up at Black Torrington soon, so will hope to get in there.  Have to say I do love it even if it just the banter between the other stall holders (they are quite mad at Hatherleigh!). :)

SRJ

Quote from: Veebee on September 06, 2011, 02:07:41 PM
I don't even seem to be able to find any craft fairs to do in central Exeter, let alone try and work out what might constitute a good one  ::)

Have you tried through the Craft Hub? And then there is the annual shindig on the Cathedral Green.....

Sue