Graphite Marvers, Vermiculite and YouTube

Started by kevie192, January 02, 2009, 07:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevie192

Hi all,

I've just been having a look through some YouTube videos before I light my torch tomorrow! *bites nails* I've come across this video which looks really good. I like the idea of using the marver (or is it a paddle?!) with a hole in it to steady the mandrel when turning. Do you think she just made that hole with a mandrel? Any of you use it in that way?

Also, I went to B&Q to get vermiculite today and what I got was not what I expected at all!! I expected it to be like sand but it's more like little woodchips. IT was this one... Is that right?!

My last question (for now!) is whether or not you've got any recommendations for YouTube videos I should watch? I'd like one on pulling stringer if there is one as well as basic beads.

Thanks,

Kevin x x

mad bunny

I've just watched the video and  it seems to be just a paddle with a hole drilled in it.  :-\    Looks like a neat idea actually. Not 100% sure if they are made like that or she has drilled it herself. 

And the vermic is the right stuff.   Looks like little wood chips as you said, but be careful of breathing in the dust as not good for the lungs.  ;)  I make sure I don't stir it around too much.  Hope that helps and maybe someone can tell us if you can drill your own paddle.   :)
Practice and Patience really does pay off!  Beads actually looking good  Yippee  :o

lorrainelee

Martin Tuffnell does a "tail stock holder" which lets you support the end of the mandrel.
Lorraine

Redhotsal

Kevin,
Happy New Year!

Just turn off those Youtube vids and go and make some beads!

I recently taught someone with a little hole drilled into their marver - and I thought it was a great idea - especially if you have shaky hands, but really, it doesn't matter what you have. It really doesn't.

Just go and create - have fun - make mistakes - burn loads of gas and soil those new tools which I know have been sitting under your Christmas tree!

The vermiculite is exactly the right stuff. Make sure you have at least a couple of inches top and bottom of the bead and you can't really go wrong. Try not to shake it around a lot as it's dusty and you don't want to go breathing in the dust If you put the beads into the vermiculite too quicky - the bits of vermic will stick to the bead but if you are too slow the bead will crack so you need to practise this - what works for you and your set up.
Above all HAVE FUN, make beads, learn and well, yeah, HAVE FUN!!!!!

Sal x

LittleMoo

Another tip for vermiculite - don't let it get wet or damp as it swells up into 'worms' and will make your beads crack. So make sure the container you put it in is dry first  ;)

saffie

and another tip for vermiculite try not to use a tin cos the tin will be cold and make the vermic cold as well!!! kinda defeats the object!!! (apparently) I never use vermic in the cold months!!!
but do exactly as Sal says and have loads of fun!!!

Redhotsal

Did you know - Vermiculite is Latin for Worms???? ?? ??  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pat from Canvey

I've always used "cold" vermiculite. Mind you, the tin sits in a warm house.

Shadowdarner

I've seen these marvers for sale some where...I don't have one myself.  I just use the edge of my normal marver or stump shaper...(or my trusty studio butter knife  ;)  )

Quote from: Redhotsal on January 03, 2009, 12:34:13 AM
Did you know - Vermiculite is Latin for Worms???? ?? ??  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Really?!  Gosh...the things you pick up on this forum! :D

Billie

Quote from: lorrainelee on January 02, 2009, 08:35:56 PM
Martin Tuffnell does a "tail stock holder" which lets you support the end of the mandrel.
Lorraine

I have one of these.  I have dodgy wrists, so when I'm making large beads (like those for a winestopper or 40mm lentils) its great to help spread the weight.

Margram

Kevin, I've just spotted one of those marvers here: http://www.sundanceglass.com/lgtoolweb.htm. Not sure if it's that necessary though. For the two dozen (yes, that many!) beads I've made so far, I've just rolled the mandrel with both hands at one side if I feel like I need a bit more control.

Those videos are fantastic, aren't they, for a few clues for the clueless.  I've been glued to them recently! ;D

Marg x
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog