SC2 Kiln Issues

Started by Ciel, February 24, 2010, 06:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciel

Got the filters now and ran kiln at 512 for an hour with a bead in - got slight maltese black cross on bead, so I'm guessing that it needs to be a higher temp.  Will try 516 next, then 520 to see what happens.

Also going to try my rest inside to see if I can balance the beads better with this.  Although I did find that if I started from one end and added beads evenly, then started again with the mandrels not in quite so much (kept on staggering them) then I only lost a small amount of beads due to kiss marks.

I'll get there, it's just going to take time.

Mary

I put my beads in still glowing, but I use a kiln rest so they don't touch. Once they've been garaged a bit I can shuffle them over without worry.

Ciel

Thanks for all your help - it's been a frustrating few weeks.

Anyhow, I've finally got my kiln to work properly as it was getting me down having to throw out 2/3 of the beads I'd made.  I ended up buying an infra-red pyrometer, and guess what, the temperature was 23C higher than the SC2 kiln reading - no wonder my beads were all marked - but no more :D  I just need more hours in a day to play as it's really addictive now I know every bead comes out without any kiss marks.  I've also noticed that I have less beads breaking too!