Pulling stringers from frit chunks

Started by beadmonkey, October 10, 2008, 10:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beadmonkey

Please can somebody advise me? ;D

I believe you can make stringers from chunks of frit by picking them up with melted end of a glass rod. If the frit is COE 89-96 then do have to use rods with the same COE or can you use rods with a COE of 104? ???

All the rods I have are 104 so want to know if I need to get some others.

Roy :)

beadysam

Hiya
I do it all the time and I use 104 glass rods to pick up the chunks.  I don't mix the 2 together if I can help it, but as its going to be used on a 104 bead anyway, I don't fuss too much. Sometimes I use a thick mandrel or chopstick too - just heat it to glowing and pick up your warm chunk with it (I warm my chunks on the torch mounted marver), I then use a second mandrel or chopstick to pull the stringer.  Hope that helps?

beadmonkey

Thanks for that Sam.

I've just ordered some Iris Gold Frit chunks from you ;D. I decided to get your Reichenbach Sample Pack as well, so i will have some different COE glass to play with ;D.

Added some Lead Crystal too! ;D

And then I thought - I've just got to have some of those Pushy Pokey Proddy Tools  ;D

Tempting websites like yours should be banned :D; There again NO!! ;D

Cheers

beadysam

;D

You never know your luck, you may find a little extra something in your parcel! ;)

Dee

I've just received some Lead Crystal from Sam and some gorgeous frits, Splash (which will be my new fave I think), Victorian Splendour and Raku Blue (thanks for that Sam  ;D)

fionaess

Where's the Reichenback sample pack on your site Sam?

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

beadmonkey

Quote from: beadysam on October 11, 2008, 12:34:31 AM
;D

You never know your luck, you may find a little extra something in your parcel! ;)

:P I'm looking forward to this! ;D

beadmonkey

Parcel came this morning ;D.

Thanks Sam and thanks for the extras (I won't say on here what they were or the girls will be jealous ;D ;D)

Trudi

Ohh the brass tools are fab - I ahev a set of them too!

Sulis (Hazel)

Oooh me too on the brass tools - I use them all the time  :)

So, 'scuse the ignorance- what's he advantages with the lead crystal frit as opposed to normal clear? More sparkle? The word crystal is making me think sparkle...  :)
Hazel x