Tumbling rather than etching - need help please with grit!

Started by Kaz, September 02, 2013, 10:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaz

I have finally got round to ordering an extra barrel for my Lortone tumbler this morning. I would like to try tumbling rather than always acid etching my organic beads. Please could someone advise me what grit I need to use, where to get it from and how long the beads need to be tumbled for?
Thank you!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

dinah46

Funny, I was just looking at CherryHaven to get another barrel for mine after reading the etching thread on LE ???

Here's Corina's take on it but I haven't yet tried it as don't want to use my jewellery barrel.
1000 grit seems a bit fine to me though so maybe we need someone who's actually done it successfully to confirm grit size.

JanieD

I use a rubber barrel for tumbling glass, plain glass beads as tumbling media and 400 grit. I have tried plastic pellets, but they broke down and got stuck in the bead holes, so then tried pipe cleaners in the holes to keep the pellets out, but didn't get as good a finish.

I originally bought a stone tumbling plastic barrel from ebay, but the noise drove me (and the cats) nuts as I had it on in the utility next to the kitchen. The rubber one is much more quiet! I usually tumble for a few hours and then check - sometimes it takes much longer.

You can buy the grits from UKGE:
http://www.ukge.co.uk/UK/grits.asp

I got mine from ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILICON-CARBIDE-400-GRIT-POWDER-CERIUM-OXIDE-LAPIDARY-STONE-TUMBLING-POLISHING-/251330991149?pt=UK_Collectables_RocksFossils_Minerals_EH&hash=item3a847e942d

If you do an ebay search you can find more supplies.

Hope that helps, I'm sure there are others who tumble on here that have equally good solutions.

Jane

Dee Dee

I use 1000 grit, silicon carbide, Kaz - it is very very fine - but gives a beautiful velvety smooth finish! And I tumble for about 4 hours!

mizgeorge

The alternative is to cut up bits of wet and dry paper (you can work through the grades if you like) and throw them in with some water. Does the job beautifully without any grits to clean up at the end.

ajda

I've been tumbling beads for a while now. I like the variety of finishes you can get with different grits - from smooth velvet with fine grits (eg 400 or finer) to grainy sea-glass effect with coarser grits (eg 120). I recommend experimenting to see what works best for you. Experiment with timing as well - some strange effects can be achieved with a half-hour tumble that just takes part of the shine off and leaves some ordinary glasses slightly sparkly - other times I've left big nuggety "sea-glass" beads for 24 hours or more for an authentic finish.

A few observations:

1. Recessed areas, including bead-hole dimples, may be missed with tumbling, so in some cases you might need to "finish" them with a chemical etch. On the other hand, some interesting effects can be achieved. Try tumbling melon beads for example - the outer lobes take the bashing and while the inner grooves remain untouched and shiny...

2. I like Corina's idea of "pony beads" or similar - I always have a load of my own simple spacers in with the main beads. If you don't have enough bulk in the barrel, you don't get a good rolling tumble and the beads don't get an even finish.

3. I use silicon carbide grits for preference - have tried aluminium oxide, but I don't think it works as well. I get them on eBay - not too expensive as a little goes a long way.

4. Don't try tumbling beads with silver or delicate protrusions as they get scraped/knocked off.

5. Grits and ground glass can clog sinks - use a bit of common sense when cleaning out and disposing of waste.
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Zeldazog

flowerjasper

I have been using 80 and plastic bb gun pellets, gives a textured effect on transparent
you can see the texture on these

for sandra 003 by Flowerjasper2, on Flickr
but the same 80 grit works well on opaque glass

tumble 004 by Flowerjasper2, on Flickr
I tumble for a few hours and then add a little oil to the beads,
I am going to give the 1000 a go.
sandy

Lotti

Quote from: JanieD on September 02, 2013, 10:47:17 AM
I use a rubber barrel for tumbling glass, plain glass beads as tumbling media and 400 grit. I have tried plastic pellets, but they broke down and got stuck in the bead holes, so then tried pipe cleaners in the holes to keep the pellets out, but didn't get as good a finish.

I originally bought a stone tumbling plastic barrel from ebay, but the noise drove me (and the cats) nuts as I had it on in the utility next to the kitchen. The rubber one is much more quiet! I usually tumble for a few hours and then check - sometimes it takes much longer.

You can buy the grits from UKGE:
http://www.ukge.co.uk/UK/grits.asp

I got mine from ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILICON-CARBIDE-400-GRIT-POWDER-CERIUM-OXIDE-LAPIDARY-STONE-TUMBLING-POLISHING-/251330991149?pt=UK_Collectables_RocksFossils_Minerals_EH&hash=item3a847e942d

If you do an ebay search you can find more supplies.

Hope that helps, I'm sure there are others who tumble on here that have equally good solutions.

Jane

Any idea where I can get a rubber barrel from, I have a plastic one and it leaks like billyho so gave up with it!

noora

I've tried tumbling with coarse grit silicon carbide (can't remember the number). It took only a couple of hours after I realised I have to fill the barrel more than half way. With only a handful of beads in the barrel they just slid along the side, so I emptied my fugly bin into the barrel to fill it up to 2/3 or so.

Next time I will try finer grit since the result was a bit rough, like sea glass. 

JanieD

Quote from: Lotti on September 02, 2013, 09:05:02 PM

Any idea where I can get a rubber barrel from, I have a plastic one and it leaks like billyho so gave up with it!

I got mine from Metal Clay: http://www.metalclay.co.uk/products/Rubber-barrel-1.5lb.html

You can also get them from Kitiki/Cherry Heaven.

Jane

Shirley

Manchester Minerals are pretty good value for lots of things.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

mizgeorge

Lotti, what type of tumbler do you have? It needs to be one that fits.

Gordon

3Lb Rubber Barrel

Metal Clay, generic                     £32.95 ( free P&P )
Manchester Minerals, generic        £32.46 ( including £4.55 P&P )
Palmers Metals, Lortone               £35.46 ( free P&P )

I know it's a couple of quid dearer but I think it's the Lortone one for me

( FYI I have a Lortone tumbler already )

Lotti

Quote from: mizgeorge on September 03, 2013, 11:53:10 AM
Lotti, what type of tumbler do you have? It needs to be one that fits.

Can't remember off hand (it is still in the packing after the move) think it was one of the kernow craft ones and did work fine according to my neighbour who gave it to me, but the lids are a pain to get on and then leak everwhere when tumbling so gave up with it!!!!  I will try to hunt it out over the weekend as I would far prefer to use it than the fluid (she gave me all the grits too, lovely lady!).