Buyer beware; kilns on Ebay

Started by lampworklover, April 26, 2012, 02:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilton Taylor

That looks like element coils, but yes, you should get Lee to take a look.

lampworklover

Steampunkglass

I think (and I am sure Lee will say if this is right or not) you might be able to use kiln cement to patch it up. I got a tin of it when I got a really battered kiln to repair to fill up all the holes in the kiln bricks, warm glass sell it but it's quite hard to mix as the stuff I had felt like it had settled.

However I don't know if you can use it directly on an element, I don't think you are supposed to be I am sure Lee will know

Mandy

OMG, you poor thing. I haven't got anything useful to add but I'm sending you a big hug.
I to do think the sender should pay for any damages in transport, as it was not described this way when brought xx

lampworklover

Thank you  :-*

Have heard back from the seller, and she rather naively thought it wouldn't move around in transit ???. She has offered to pay half as a gesture of goodwill, but unfortunately I don't happen to have the other half, having just shelled out for the kiln :(.

Everything sort of rests on Lee's opinion now.

dangerousbead

Just caught up with this. Hope you get it sorted soon. What a bummer, how frustrating. :(

lampworklover

Well, there are still decent people in this world. I have to say the seller has been great throughout this transaction, and was very upset when I told her about the damage. She is now in the process of refunding me the amount that it wil cost to replace the muffle. Absolutely gutted for her still, as she has lost out, and she is so lovely, but at least I will end up with a kiln that I can use.

BeeBeads

I'm so glad you've got it sorted Tina.  It's a shame that the seller has lost out, but it's a fair outcome.  Hope you can get it repaired soon and enjoy using it!

awrylemming

It does seem only fair that she pays the cost of her error, it's unfortunate that it's an expensive lesson for her  :(  Still, it's been upsetting for you, and I'm sure she realises that you are being extremely easygoing, considering you will now have to wait for new parts before you can use the kiln.  Glad it's sorted for you x

Margram

What a shame all round :-\ - you are both due for some fantastic good luck now :-*
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Mandy

Quote from: Margram on April 26, 2012, 11:34:10 PM
What a shame all round :-\ - you are both due for some fantastic good luck now :-*
Totally agree, It must have been a stressfull day/night for you both.. Im glad that its all sorted now  ;D

Lee - Kilncare

Hi mate, got your PM and glad to hear that you are all sorted.

For general information. that is exactly the damge that should result in a new muffle. If you can see the coils then you can touch the coils and if the kiln is on and working, that will result in an electric shock.

However, that kiln will still run O.K. and depending on your process yu may decide that you will never be in the kiln when it is on and so carry on using it.

So the official line is do not use...the unofficial line is apply common sense.

With regards to repairs. Cement and elements is never a good idea and usually results in tears at some point. There are fibre mixes you can get, we use a mastic that is actually semi-liquid ceramic fibre type compound which may have a chance as it could grip to the element but I've not tried it in those circumstances.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

lampworklover

Thanks Lee; given that I was planning on poking metals mandrels into the cavity whilst the kiln is on, I'm definitely better off NOT doing so if the element is exposed!

Krysia@No98

That is a shame that the seller lost out but completely fair that they paid for it.  

When I bought my kiln I had a quick flick through the booklet (wouldn't possibly refer to it as a manual as it doesn't actually tell you how to use the kiln  ::)  ) that came with it and in quiet a few places it was exceptionally explicit/implicit that the manufacturers box needed to be kept and used when ever transporting the kiln.

Maybe this is something we all need to be more aware of when we buy and sell kilns, does it have the original box, if it's something we always ask it might help us all remember how important it is that the box is kept?

(This is one of the many things my neighbour tried to have a fuss about me keeping, we share storage space in the attic.  He tells me it's a waste of space, I tell him the 5 inch floppy disks should be in a museum.)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

lampworklover

Quote from: Krysia on April 27, 2012, 10:15:33 AM
That is a shame that the seller lost out but completely fair that they paid for it.  

yes, when she does do the refund. Then I need to find a new muffle.

Eventually, when this is all over, I will have my old kiln for sale, and funnily enough, I kept the original packaging for just that reason.