I put mine in a pyrex bowl and shove that in my kiln
So do I, or on a kiln shelf on props.
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

poledra1958

Quote from: Margram on May 12, 2010, 12:31:14 PM
Quote from: fionaess on May 12, 2010, 12:14:23 PM
So do I, or on a kiln shelf on props.

my kiln is so small it would have to be a very small dish a small butter dish might just fit

I put them all in pile a few went sticky but I do not think there was any of the colours mentioned above in there kiln was only Reading 510 but it did take 5.5 hours to get to that temp although I thought I set it to 210 minutes.   Afew mainly pink ones look to have discoloured slightly on the side that was on the kiln floor so I might try putting some of the paper I use to use for fusing on the kiln floor next time.

But thanks for all your help.

Jenny

HH on Bulk,

lampworklover

...and there's me, carefully spacing mine out every time I anneal my batches  ::); I defo need to cut down some of my bent mandrels and get some wire mesh; great thread, thanks!

♥♥Tan♥♥

Sarah A

Quote from: fionaess on May 12, 2010, 12:14:23 PM

Does anyone know if it is ok to do this is a fusing kiln?

fionaess

Yes, its fine, the temp for annealing 104 glass is lower than the melting point of  pyrex/borosilicate.   I don't anneal my boro beads in it tho :) :) :)

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Sarah A

feebee64

Have just bought a Paragon S2 kiln. Having been "playing" at making beads for a month or so we have some successes that I would like to batch anneal. I heard that we can just use an enamel dish - can I use a plate from camping? - it has a stainless steel trim round the rim - will that melt? or would I be better using a pyrex one?
???

Hamilton Taylor

Why not just let them lie on the (presumable nice and clean) base of your kiln?
That way you run no risk of contamination from coatings, galvanising finish, etc.

Sean

ejralph

Better to have the beads in something, just in case the relay malfunctions and the kiln overshoots, melting the beads.  Easier to replace a dish or kiln shelf than to repair the base of a kiln.

I just use a kiln shelf, coated with batt wash, when batch annealing. Even then, on my caldera, it wouldn't be the end of the world if molten glass ended up on the base - much more repairable than in an SC2.

If I were batch annealing in that, I would want the beads in some sort of dish with a lip to it, just to be ultra sure.

Emma

feebee64

I found a pyrex lid which just fits inside the kiln without touching the sides. I really don't want to risk damaging the kiln in any way.
Can't wait for the weekend when I actually get to try the kiln out for real!!  ;D

Skyblue

Have really enjoyed reading all of these posts, I got my sc2 for christmas and have not been brave enough to anneal beads from cold yet, :) but am now happy to try .

silkworm

Like Skyblue I have enjoyed reading these posts and have found them helpful so a big thankyou to everyone.
Mary

Weston_glass_man

Hi Everyone,

I am going to make myself look a little (or alot) dumb here but never mind. I am fairly new to lampwork. And when I say new I mean less than a month. I keep hearing about "ANNEALING" What is it and do I need to do it? Sorry to ask possibly an obvious question but I just don't know... Thank you in advance for any replies Rob AKA Weston_Glass_Man.  :)