Everything you needed to know about ETCHING

Started by SueP, January 29, 2008, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fionaess

If anyone is looking to ditch their Etchall, could they send it my way please, because my bottle is looking a little empty.

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Sarah A

I have just found this for etch all http://www.edhoy.com/pdf/50663_50664_and_50665_MSDS.pdf

If medical professionals need these in case of accidents it might be an idea to print it out and keep it with the product. Maybe suppliers might consider sending them with the products just to make people aware of the risks and safety precautions to minimise these.

Off to try and find one for bead release now.

SilverGems89

Sarah that link was very interesting reading, etch all seems pretty safe to me AS LONG AS you know how to handle it correctly and what to do if you have an accident etc
I worked in a laboratory for almost 2 years, etch all is a mere kitten compared to what i used to work with  ;)

Lotti

That was brill, thanks Sarah.  I have to say that I wasn't that concerned about it as long as you follow the instructions and precautions and this datasheet is very useful. :)

tuffnell glass

Hi ,
Bob at Etch All has also sent me this link ,

www.youtube.com/user/etchallvideo

which shows you upto 7 videos on the use of and safety of Etch All.

cheers ,
martin

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

KatheL

Hi Folks,
so glad my post triggered a debate on safety with this stuff, I think AWARENESS is the keyword, and hats off to you Martin for your positive approach to this. In Denmark safety sheets are difficult to get too, in general - many sellers don't even know they are obliged to have them for the customers.
I am not saying don't use etching stuff, don't get me wrong - my point is KNOW what your are dealing with, and act responsively. Personally I am happy with my polishing drum, but yes, one day I will try etching cream too, but knowing what I do I will keep it in a shed and use it in free air, not in the house.

Etch all seems a lot safer than Armour etch, as I understand it is etching stuff that contains ammonium biflouride as well as barium sulphate (if I remember correctly) that are the worst.
Actual MSDS for Armour etch here:
http://whatsinproducts.com/msds.php?brandId=9767

I just wish we as byers/users of chemials etc. could be presented with facts and figures about the products, so we can choose and use safely!
And please don't see me as a sour old grump, 'cos I'm not... :-)

Happy etching,
Kathe
Kathe Lewis,
Denmark
Single fuel torch user