Everything you needed to know about ETCHING

Started by SueP, January 29, 2008, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SueP

I am so inspired by Sabine's fantastic etched beads I want to have a try at etching and anyway have plenty of fuglies that might be improved ;D

Any tips on the best way of dipping the beads? 

Also has anyone come across a list of glasses and their affinity (if that's the right word) for etching?

sparrow

Hi Sue, I'm flattered - I've never been an inspiration before ;) Etching is loads of fun (I would say that!) - I can't say I'm an expert, but there's a few things I've discovered - I use the etching liquid, rather than the cream, and your bead should be suspended in the liquid, rather than chucked in - if it toouches the sides, or the bottom, or another bead, it won't etch. Some more knowledgeable people will tell you more about what you can ad can't use to suspend, I use a length of sterling wire, plonk the bead on it, fashion a hook at the top and hang it over the rim of my etching container. I did ask somewhere which glass doesn't etch, and I think Terra (double helix) is the only definite, although there were one or two that etched unevenly. Something I noticed that was quite good to know is that the etching liquid will attack surface silver leaf & foil, but not so much wire. I etch my frosty beads for ages - sometimes over an hour - but you can get a nice satin-y sheen after about 5 minutes, it depends on the effect you want.....does that help? Have fun, and don't forget to post pics!!  :) :)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Sabine, that helped me too. I've had a couple of etching sessions and was rather disappointed with the results. I didn't realise you could leave the bead in for an hour - that might help.

Stacy

One tip I'd like to add (though it is probably the norm for most people anyway) is I makesure to clean my beads of all bead release before I put them in the solution. I would hate to be cleaning soggy bead release mixed with etching fluid.

sparrow

Good point, Stacy....although no matter how hard I try, there's still a bit of sludge at the bottom of my etching container  :-\
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Stacy

Yeah, I get that too Sabine. I think its better to have a little than a lot!! (in this instance anyway!)  :D

GlassOcean

You clever old lot!

How do you etch just part of a bead, what do you cover the 'to stay shiny bit' with???

sparrow

Hahaaa, I asked that question only about a fortnight ago, because I had the vision of my beads, but no idea how to do it - the clever answer (from Tan, I believe): nail varnish! (and nail varnish remover afterwards!!)  ;)
Sabine x

Stacy

Does it matter what colour?? I bet you've got vampiress red haven't you sabine!

mariag

SueP

Hey thanks for the answer Sabine and all.  I like the idea of the wire hook.  I'm going to get some fluid on order and then start experimenting - I will post results but do still need plenty of ppp. 

sparrow

Quote from: Stacy on January 29, 2008, 07:56:49 PM
Does it matter what colour?? I bet you've got vampiress red haven't you sabine!

Errrr.....there's a picture of me and Toby on the Ethical CHallenge thread...have a look, it doesn't go with vampire red  :-\ ;D I don't wear varnish, so the only stuff I had was left-over from my wedding ;D....nearly clear, ever so slightly sparkly. It's a bummer to spot on the bead, so I'd recommend something more colourful and easier to find on the bead!!  ;)
Sabine x

Mand

??? I fancy having a go at acid etching some of my bogus beads, just to see what it does... bit of a scientific experiment and all that. Thing is, does one acid etch before or after annealing? (Don't have a kiln at mo you see!) Intruiged......

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I think you etch after the beads have been annealed and cleaned, otherwise you leave nasty bead release in the etching fluid. I also think there's another thread like this from a few months ago. Will have a hunt.....

Modified to add link... http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2148.0

dawn

Check out www.dichroicglass.co.uk in the articles section there is a piece called 'How to make simple customised dichroic patterns'. 

I love this new site and find myself logging on regularly.

Dawn