How to Fuse a shape (heart shape)

Started by Flowers, June 08, 2016, 10:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flowers

Hi All
I am stuck.  I wanted to make a heart shape pendant using Bullseye glass.  I used a clear base and pieces of frit on top for colour.  I was worried that if I put the pendant in on a full fuse it would all melt down into one homogenous piece so I put it in the kiln on a tack fuse the heart shape has remained but the frit has not melted down and it doesn't look so nice.
What is the best way to fuse a heart shape or in fact any shape so that the shape remains and is not lost during the fusing process?
Thank you

Moira HFG

Here's one way, that Pat did:
http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=42892.0

Dee Poole did a Youtube tutorial, but I can't find it.

Without the vermiculite board or other shaping device, you should be able to melt the frit in somewhat without losing the shape. Try to keep a fairly even 6mm over the whole piece. Use clear frit to fill in gaps if you don't want colour all over.

Flowers

Hi Moira
Thank you I shall try with some of the board I hadn't heard of it before now.  I shall try again and see how they go. I can't find the link to Dee though:-(

marklaird

Depending on the size, you could also ask Pat Roche ( see his pages on Facebook) to make you a stainless steel former.
I've got a couple of circle ones that I use for making rounds ready for drop vessels.

bellag13

Hi I'm really interested in seeing Pats metal forms but I can't find him on fb could you post a link or give me a bit more info
Thanks

Moira HFG

Ah, that's the one, thanks for finding it! A simple and effective method.

As to Pat Roche - if you search on fb for 'Pat Roche glass frame', you should find him. He can make any sort of frame you fancy.