Frit-Happens !
March 25, 2017, 07:31:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guillotine  (Read 212 times)
fionaess
Global Dominator
Forum Member

« on: January 04, 2017, 05:48:55 PM »

Guillotines for metal?  Talk to me about them please
.pros and cons and prices.. What sort should I be looking for?
Smiley

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !
JanieD
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:50:38 PM »

I have a cheap disc cutter that I got from Amazon for 30 many years ago. It acts like a tin opener, and cuts up to 16g in copper, brass, bronze, aluminium and nickel silver. I find it most useful for cutting nickel as it's so hard! Have never tried cutting discs with it, but it's useful for curves, and I can get a straight line if I'm careful.

When I was a silversmithing student we had a fantastic guillotine, it cut through metal like butter, but these cost a lot of money! You can buy guillotines at Cooksons, but they aren't suitable for large metal sheets.

It depends what you want it for - my little cutter is throatless so I can use any size metal sheet, which is useful as my metal stock is often in 6 foot sheets. When I make my guitar scratchplates I cut a piece from sheet then use a jewellers saw to cut the shape out as then the edges aren't marred.

If money was no object I would love an expensive guillotine, but what I have works for now, and I would rather have a rolling mill if I was going to spend lots of money on another tool for my workshop.

Hope that helps,

Jane

mizgeorge
Administrator

Or should that be missus?

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 07:31:26 PM »

I use a bench shear for cutting large strips - Warco is always a pretty good bet for these.

http://www.warco.co.uk/94-Shears

fionaess
Global Dominator
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:58:58 PM »

Thank you both for the info..As ever really helpful Smiley

fionaess
Global Dominator
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 11:02:44 PM »

Those are exactly what Im looking for George..right price ad well.  Do you get an accurate, clean cut?

mizgeorge
Administrator

Or should that be missus?

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 08:53:42 AM »

I think I do! You do definitely need to bolt or clamp the shear to a stable surface, and an extra pair of hands can help a lot if you are working with longer pieces and need to move the metal to complete the cut. It's definitely worth having the longer version IMO.

fionaess
Global Dominator
Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 09:45:29 AM »

Thanks George

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: