There are no stupid questions, right??

Started by Pennykt, June 17, 2016, 08:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pennykt

Okay, newbie alert!
Can someone explain in simple terms please exactly what is meant by reducing & striking. Just so as I know what I think I know is what I should know.
Thank you!!

helbels

Not a stupid question!

Reducing
Reducing is when you reduce the amount of oxygen in the flame; either by turning DOWN the oxygen, or turning UP the propane.  (If you're on a Hothead the flame is naturally very reducing).  This brings out the silver in silver glass, and/or the copper in turquoise/petrol green.

Striking
Striking is when you heat the glass to almost white hot, then take it out of the flame and let it cool until the glow has gone.  You then gently reintroduce the glass to the back of the flame and reheat, not too hot.  This causes the glass to "strike" and brings out the colours.  Repeating the heating/cooling cycle brings out different colours.

Some glass only reacts to being reduced (eg:  Double Helix Triton, Psyche)   Some glass only reacts to being struck (eg:  Double Helix Luna 3/Khaos) And some, the wee devils,  like to be both struck and reduced (eg: Double Helix Kalypso)

;D

sarah t

Moira HFG

Beautifully put!  :)

I'd just like to add; don't worry if you don't get it right immediately, it takes a few goes!

Pennykt

That is fantastic! Thank you, really easily understood. I sort of got it but this clarifies it once & for all.

I must say the lamp working community are the most welcoming, helpful & non judgemental lot I've met of anybody/crafty I've been involved with

Rascal

Totally agree with your comments about the lampworking community.

I always think somedays you can be in love with striking and/or reducing glasses and then when you think you finally have it sussed the glass kicks your butt again and reminds you it's in charge!

Pennykt

Thinking about this today, am I right in thinking many colours with reduce or strike under the above conditions, not just the obvious silver glass colours?
For example I was playing with some Eff dark blue sky today, with my hothead, and one of the beads has developed a silvery colour in places. I've accidentally reduced it, correct?

lampworklover

Yes, and some of the opaque purples and turquoise do this too. If you don't like the effect, soak the beads in a bit of coca cola  (*other brands are available, lol) or bathroom cleaner that's designed to remove limescale like Cillit Bang (*ditto).

flame n fuse

Quote from: Pennykt on June 20, 2016, 02:26:35 PM
Thinking about this today, am I right in thinking many colours with reduce or strike under the above conditions, not just the obvious silver glass colours?
For example I was playing with some Eff dark blue sky today, with my hothead, and one of the beads has developed a silvery colour in places. I've accidentally reduced it, correct?
yes, you have reduced it and hotheads tend to have a reducing flame. You might try working further out in the flame.

Pennykt

Thank you all! I am so loving this process. Though today I have discovered the combination of turquoise & ivory and might never do anything other than that ever again!  ;D

DementedMagpie

It's not just posh silver glass that strikes: a lot of transparent reds, yellows and oranges do, too. They start out like clear-looking rods (the more recent batches of Effetre have a thin coloured line running down the middle, to make it a bit less easy to get them mixed up with clear!) and get their proper colour when you've worked them.
Kathy

Blog - Flickr - Etsy - Facebook

flame n fuse

turquoise and ivory is one of my favourites, try making a silvered ivory stringer and using that too!

Pennykt

That's next on my to-do list, been readin up in Corinne's book how to do it!!