Is it best to full fuse or slump over fibre paper?

Started by Flowers, September 22, 2016, 08:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flowers

Hi I am having a go with fibre paper I want to make a deep indentation in a piece of glass that has been fused and have cut out two pieces of thick fibre paper to put under my piece of glass but now I don't know whether I am supposed to full fuse or slump over the fibre paper to get a deep indentation.
Please could anyone advise - I am new to fibre paper
Thank you  :)

flame n fuse

what are the dimensions of the indentation and is the rest of it flat?

Flowers

Hi the indentation is fibre paper cut into a long flat rectangle 1 cm depth the corners are straight not rounded

flame n fuse

julieHB

Hi there. I think you need to full fuse over the fibre paper to get the indentation you want - you don't mention how thick your fibre paper is, I assume you are not making a drop ring out of it, which you would use to slump the glass through.

If you want an indentation you cut out shapes and position those under your fused piece. If you want a relief you cut out the frame of the shape you want and fuse your glass over it.

For both methods you need to make sure your glass is thick enough - at least 2 layers for thin fibre paper, and more for thicker indents/reliefs.

Have a look at this video from Delphi, which shows the various fibre products and how to use them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZcyDRosNSE

I am by no means a fusing expert, so those of you who are please arrest me if I have said anything incorrect!

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Flowers

Hi thank you so much for all your help the Delhi website was link was very helpful as was the Bullseye kiln carving link.  Before seeing your posts I actually slumped the glass and it didn't make a very deep indentation so next time I will try the full fuse and see what happens.

julieHB

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr