would a larger oxycon make a difference?

Started by flame n fuse, August 03, 2016, 05:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flame n fuse

Hi
I'm running a minor on a single refurb 5l oxycon. It works well, but sometimes it would be nice to have a bit more oomph when making large beads. Would I notice the difference if I added another 5l oxycon, or upgraded to an 8l?
Thanks
Julia

helbels

Yes it will, but perhaps not in the way you might imagine.  With mine, I didn't suddenly get a bigger flame or even a more powerful flame - the flame stays the same size.  But what it will do is allow you to work hotter if you need to.  I notice it when I'm making a big bead - it takes a lot less time to melt in the encasing layer than it did on a single 5L.  I have the 10L from Martin by the way.

oliver90owner

I would say yes, because even for the same output volume, a bigger machine (or multiple machines) would be outputting a higher oxygen content.

That means less inert gas (mainly nitrogen), cooling the flame temperature.  Just look at the specs for oxycons at lower  and maximum outputs.  

The maximum efficiency of an oxycon is around 96% and many will not achieve that.  Using an oxygen bottle will invariably improve any flame over the same burner with an oxycon supply.  The marginal improvement over the best oxycon (4% inert gas avoided) result will increase as the oxycon approaches its maximum output (with a considerably reduced oxygen content).

The greater advantage will clearly be a larger burner (so more combustible gas and more energy released), but the simple phyical facts remain - more diluting gas means a cooler flame temperature.  Think here the difference between hotheads, using more gas with air but much less efficient than a surface mixed burner with less gas (fuel) and oxycon output (as the oxidant).

RAB

Szőke Judit

Dear Julia,
I have two 5 liter oxicons and Major Bench Burner with Minor Top Torch by Nortel. I can't really good use the 10 liter only on Minor, it is too much for this torch. You will have more heat, but the flame will be not wider. What would be your goal?
Judit

flame n fuse

thanks for all your comments. It sounds like an upgrade might help me work hotter (tho flame the same size), and also the % oxygen will be higher, which will give me more flexibility for oxidising/reducing. (I tend to have a slightly reducing atmosphere at present).

tuffnell glass

Hi,
     The extra power gained by adding an extra 5ltr or 8ltr unit opens up the possibilities of working boro rod on your minor and a lot of marbles are attainable even on a minor burner with that extra power but as explained by others it will not give you a wider flame for working bigger beads .
You will however suffer less cracking on bigger beads because you will be working faster, the only wider flame option is going on to a mid-range either on its own or with a minor piggyback which gives you the best of both worlds  and can be happily run on 2 x 5ltrs or a 5ltr and an 8ltr.

Yours Sincerely,

Martin
Tuffnell Glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

Moira HFG

I have to put in a word for the mid-range/minor combo - I love mine! The mid-range gives you a lovely broad, bushy flame that allows you to work big easily; but you still have the sharp flame of the minor for detailed work.

If you were to add to or upgrade your oxygen supply, you could hold that thought in reserve for a next step?

Moira

flame n fuse