decals

Started by shafeenan, June 28, 2016, 04:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shafeenan

I've seen some nice gold or copper coloured decals on the Warm Glass site but they don't say if they have to go between two layers or can just be on top of one layer. I know with plain black decals can just be on the top but wondered about the gold/copper/silver - is it just a colour or a metal? And if it is a metal and has to go between two layers, would I need to add powder to stop bubbles? thanks

Zeldazog

Generally, decals are designed to go on top, although some people sandwich them.

Have you got a link?

Rascal

which decals in particular did you see? The website says the metallic ones should go on top and not be capped but not sure if I looked at the ones you were asking about. This was the tip sheet I downloaded when I got some, not used them yet. http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/images/pdfs/products/Metallic%20Decal%20Instructions.pdf. Warm
Glass are really helpful so if you drop them an email I'm sure they'd confirm.

shafeenan

Thanks for the feedback - this is the sheet I was interested in:
http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/vintage-bees-decal-p-4399.html?cPath=164&search_in_description=1&keyword=decals
Maybe they are just metallic COLOURED rather than metallic?!
Suppose I could just ask them direct, but anyway, hope the Q&A helps others too
Love how everyone is so generous with their advice on this site - it provides hours of reading, even on subjects I'm not interested in!!

shafeenan

Hm. Just read the helpful 'how to' link which says that decals shoudl be the last thing you do and seems to suggest that yes, they should just be on the top layer of glass. 
Can I therefore add to the question - I have an SC2 which has a vent hole with a bung on top.  When they say ventilation is the key to good gold/silver finishes, do I leave the bung out for the whole firing or just part?
I am worried that by leaving it out for the whole firing the glass would not reach the top temperature.
Thanks

Flyingcheesetoastie

It says on the listing to vent until 535C.... This will be the stage when the binders are burning off and it's better for your kiln to let them escape rather than sticking to the muff/elements/furniture.

Remember these are not just shiny stickers, they are metallic printed enamels or lustre that undergo a chemical change when fired to mature into the metallic finish.  It's why you can't cap them in that first firing and they are also a very thin layer so if you did cap them and full fuse again, the movement of the glass could tear and distort them.

beadammed

I've used the vintage bees on plates.  I love them. I put them on top
Geraldine
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/strikingglassstudios

beadammed

Geraldine
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/strikingglassstudios

jeannette

Oh they are nice!

Rascal

Love the metallic sheen they've kept. Look great against the red.