Buying first kiln

Started by SJL, June 13, 2016, 09:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SJL

Can anyone please help
I have a maximum £1200 budget to purchase my first kiln
I need it for fusing and slumping
Children's parties, craft fairs and online sales
It's a minefield and I am very confused!
Thanks in anticipation
:o

Zeldazog

Hi Sarah

Welcome to Frit Happens.  Just to let you know, I've deleted the other post, as there's no need to post the same question twice  ;)

If you have a look round the boards, you will find loads of discussions as to the pros and cons of all the various models that are out there, what sizes and types you can get for your money.  As we don't know what sort of set-up or space you have, other than your price limit, there's a fair amount of choice, especially if you consider second hand too - kilns are pretty robust things and used ones can come along that look barely used.  Even if they're well used, they still do their job!

To help you can also use the search facility, top right, under the Frit Happens banner, if you do this, make sure you're at the top of the forum, and not in a board otherwise it will only search for posts within that board or section you're in. 

smudges dad

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=47115.0
I had exactly the same issues a few weeks ago and got the Scutt firebox 8.  It's really easy to use but small which is great for experimenting, so you can only put one thing in at a time, which will be no use for children's parties etc.

Main thing to bear in mind is all the other bits and bobs like kiln wash, moulds, thin fire paper (on my next order), glass and frit which will eat in to your budget.

Moira HFG

Buying a kiln isn't a minefield, simply a matter of choice.

Any glass kiln will fuse and slump. The fine distinctions become important when you want to do other things as well - anneal beads, make castings, make drop-out vases, work in pate de verre etc etc....

If you are setting up a business doing the things you mention, I would look at the companies who sell glass and slumping moulds. They do a range of reliable kilns, and you can choose one that fits your budget and the space you have available.

anditsinthefish

One thing to really consider is how big you want to go? I have a SC2 which has been great for the last year or so but it limits me to pieces 15cm and under. I'm now looking at a much larger kiln (75 litres+)!
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.