Small, complex image - how??

Started by Moira HFG, May 19, 2016, 08:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moira HFG

A friend has asked me for a pair of cufflinks with a complicated geometric image on. Not my usual thing, but I'd like to try.

If the pattern was less complicated, I'd just paint or engrave it onto some nice iridised glass, then cap and fuse. But I think this design calls for some sort of photographic process so I can draw it large and reduce it to the right size.

I've never used decals, but I've seen on Warm Glass that you can send them a design and get something printed onto decal paper.

Any other suggestions, anyone? Thanks.

Zeldazog

The ones that Warm Glass do come printed black and fire sepia.

If you wanted multi-coloured, or a different colour, you can get digital decals printed at various places - they're designed for ceramics, but can be used on glass.

You have to order a sheet approx A3, so for cufflinks you'd have to find lots of other things to fill it up, around £20 per sheet, ish

Other than that, plain decal paper, cut out if it's not too small?  Baileys or Held sell plain decal sheets.

Steampunkglass

I think you've hit the nail on the head with decals being your easiest option, the only other way might be silk screen printing paint that can be fired onto them which is a lot more complicated :-\

Moira HFG

Many thanks.

I haven't tried silkscreening before either, so I guess decals are going to be easier.

I've read how to use standard printed decals, but can't find any info on how to use the plain sheets. Do you have to cut out the shape you want, or can you do something clever with a photocopier?

I'm happy with a plain black or monochrome image.

Blimey, A3 is a lot of cufflinks!

Zeldazog

Quote from: Moira HFG on May 19, 2016, 09:36:13 PM

I've read how to use standard printed decals, but can't find any info on how to use the plain sheets. Do you have to cut out the shape you want, or can you do something clever with a photocopier?

I'm happy with a plain black or monochrome image.

On the plain colour decal sheets, you'd have to cut out your shapes, there's no printing involved.   

Dietmar

There are several other ways to get the image into the surface of dichroic glass. There is the option of laser engraving the glass surface. If that does not work try to laser engrave an etching resist on the glass (and etch later).

A total different way to small and complicated images is making a murrini cane. There are many ways to do, but most of them include lampwork or require a glory hole.

- Classic lampwork cane: Find a large central part of the pattern and shape a glass rod like this. Paint the other parts layer by layer on the sides of the starting shape. Finally put caps of clear on the ends, heat and pull to thr required diameter.

- Complex lampwork cane: Make details of the final image in contributing canes and pull them thinner. Cut them into sections of about 5cm and reheat them before combining them into a more detailled image. Repeat reducing the diameter and combining more parts untill the final image is complete.

- Mosaic cane: Bundle fine sections of colored rods (stringers) in a way that the image is visible in the end of the bundle. Use copper ore iron wire for bundeling and hest in the kiln to tack fuse temperature of the glass. Pic it up with a blob of clear glass on a punty and secure the front edge against falling apart. Heat the bundle from one end to the other to squeeze the trapped air out, add a second punty, heat and pull to the required diameter. You can combine premade canes with solid rods (stringers) for more complex images.

Dietmar

Moira HFG

Hello Dietmar, thanks for your suggestions.

In the end I decided to paint the pattern in tracing black, the sort used in stained glass painting. It took a fine brush and a lot of patience, but they came out fine.