New kiln

Started by sandmor1, March 17, 2016, 08:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandmor1

I am due to take delivery of my new Hobbyfuser 3 on Monday. (Yippee)
I got a confirmation from WG yesterday along with a photo of the packaging. My husband went a bit pale when he saw it and paler still when he read the weight.
Our driveway is around 100ft long and shingle up to the garage.  Does anyone know if the van delivering it will come up the drive to the garage or will they only deliver to the kerbside. Getting it along the drive over shingle would certainly be a challenge for us.
Thanks for any advice
Sandra

tuffnell glass

Hi,
    I'm sure if you put the kettle on and have a cuppa waiting for him , maybe with a bicci too.

Best of luck.

Martin
Tuffnell Glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

silkworm

I think a lot will depend on the company and the individual driver. I had read 'delivery to your door' and very naively assumed inside my door! The driver was on his own, english not his first language an not obliging. The kiln was on a pallet which he moved on a trolley and he would only go where the trolley went so not over the chips to the garage, not up the step to the front door and not even round the side of the house to the back as he would not believe that the side gate was wide enough. He basically put in down in front of the door step and left!

You might be lucky and get a more helpful type but I would have a plan B in place.
Mary

sandmor1

I'd cook him a full English breakfast if I thought it would help. .. :D

tuffnell glass

Maybe after the kiln has been moved ....not before

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

sandmor1

Plan B is being formulated...but I  am still hoping for a really nice helpful driver...

flame n fuse

Have your tried asking warmglass? I'd have thought it should be 'to the door' rather than kerbside.

oliver90owner

Plan B is being formulated..

Check to find out if the lid is easily removable.  If it is, it should then be easy enough to move without toooo much hassle.

Other alternatives might be a sack truck with large wheels (preferably pneumatic), or a sheet of ply ripped in two and a few pieces of round pipe or bar of suitable length - even four planks might suffice instead of the ply - as long as the drive is relatively level.

Even a sled and tow it towards the garage?

Any more ideas for plan B, anyone?

sandmor1

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. There was some kind of mixup with the delivery date between WG and Kilncare and it now won't be here until tomorrow. ..
Sandra

Mars

Good Luck! Have been following your thread and dying to know the final outcome... was wondering if you'd get to 3 course meal with wine and theatre tickets ;)

Moira HFG

Come on, Sandra, we want the next instalment!  ;D
Moira

flame n fuse

just realised it was this model that we had delivered a few years ago. asking my OH, he said he and the driver lifted it into the garage without too much difficulty, but there wasn't a long driveway. I've seen deliverers of skips manoeuver empty ones into position by lowering them onto a couple of scaffolding rods, which act as rollers. (you'd need 3 - 2 to roll and 1 to put in front)
good luck and be assertive with the driver!

sandmor1

I am delighted to report that I had an exceptionally helpful driver. He arrived at 3 30 pm in the rain and asked where we wanted it.
He then reversed up the drive..parked right by the garage and with his pallet truck he took it  into the garage and dropped it in the spot we asked.
No histrionics. .was chatty and so nice. I did offer him a tea/coffee but he declined as he still had three more deliveries before he finished .
It was definitely my lucky day.
Sandra

Mars

Fantastic news! That's brilliant  ;D

Now to unwrap and play with your new toy  :D

Mars xx

Moira HFG

How lovely!
That really is excellent service.