Using Lustre Glazes on fused glass?

Started by Reener12345678, February 06, 2016, 12:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reener12345678

Hi FH users.

I've bought some Collorobia Lustres (and thinners) - Mother of Pearl (Iris) Blue Galaxy, and Orange pearl.  I am intending to use them to accent ripples in fused glass.  Has anyone any helpful hints or tips before I start.  I gather they are noxious fumey and will work in well ventilated space.

I'll post results if anyone is interested.  Look forward to hearing from you.

flame n fuse

they sound interesting! I'd love to see the results.

Moira HFG

I'm interested too. I've just been reading about lustres and mica powders after getting some glittery pixie-dust type stuff on eBay, which I've not used before.

Was yours from Held of Harrogate Reener? I bet they'll look lovely on ripples, I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Laura S

You should have a brush specifically for lustres and keep that brush wrapped and covered when not using it. Dust is a no no where lustres are concerned.
Work as quickly as possible and keep the lid on the lustre bottle as much as possible. Exposure to he air makes the lustres thicken. When you have finished I'd recommend you wrap he bottle in cling film to stop air getting in.
Once applied leave the lustres to dry over night in the kiln, to keep the piece dust free.
I would recommend doing some test pieces first as the lustres are expensive and you will probably have to tweak the target temperature to get the best results. I use the Colorobbia Platinum which is meant to be fired between 500-600d but I find I need to go 610d. Be careful about going too high, though as they easily burn out. If the lustre still looks brown after firing the chances are you haven't gone high enough or your soak hasn't been long enough.
The fumes from firing are pretty bad so make sure you ventilate the area really well and I wouldn't remain in the room during the initial stages.
If you haven't done so already you'll need the cleaner and the thinner is a good idea too.
Hope that helps.