Ashes in glass

Started by anditsinthefish, February 05, 2016, 04:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anditsinthefish

I have been asked to incorporate a lady's late daughters ashes in glass.

I have been searching and can see its been done and the main tip is the allow the air to flow out by placing chips at the edge. I can see there is one topic on here but looks like the lady didn't try it and hasn't been active on here for month so I was just wondering if anyone had done it before? what were the results?

Sarah x
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

Lotti

RedhotSal is the girl to talk to about this, she does this as part of her work alot.  I have started doing mini paperweights, I found encasing the ashes on a bead to be quite hard work and you really do need to make sure they are fully encased otherwise they spread and I like making paperweights ;) .  I just rolled the hot glass base in a thin layer of ashes (less is more like frit) and then encased in clear (bit different technique in making paperweights though).  There is a tut in the most recent volumn of the Glassline mag which you can get online.  The paperweight was fab by the way (I was asked for two), looks like a galaxy (I did add some dichro to it too for extra sparkle).   Good luck with it, it feels funny to start with, handling someones ashes, but the feedback and the joy you can give someone is wonderful. :)

anditsinthefish

Quote from: Lotti on February 07, 2016, 09:50:06 AM
RedhotSal is the girl to talk to about this, she does this as part of her work alot.  I have started doing mini paperweights, I found encasing the ashes on a bead to be quite hard work and you really do need to make sure they are fully encased otherwise they spread and I like making paperweights ;) .  I just rolled the hot glass base in a thin layer of ashes (less is more like frit) and then encased in clear (bit different technique in making paperweights though).  There is a tut in the most recent volumn of the Glassline mag which you can get online.  The paperweight was fab by the way (I was asked for two), looks like a galaxy (I did add some dichro to it too for extra sparkle).   Good luck with it, it feels funny to start with, handling someones ashes, but the feedback and the joy you can give someone is wonderful. :)

Thanks Lotti, I'm looking to fuse the ashes into a bowl, so from what I've read its like other none glass inclusion - just let the air escape so it doesn't bubble.
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

jeannette

Yes, I belief so, just use the ashes very sparingly

Lotti

Quote from: anditsinthefish on February 07, 2016, 11:32:32 AM
Quote from: Lotti on February 07, 2016, 09:50:06 AM

Thanks Lotti, I'm looking to fuse the ashes into a bowl, so from what I've read its like other none glass inclusion - just let the air escape so it doesn't bubble.

Yes I should think so (my lady also had a fused glass piece from a friend of mine and she used it like fine frit but ontop of the piece not in it.  Looked great and I don't think she had any problems with it). 

anditsinthefish

On top? interesting. I'll give that a go to! Thank you x
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.