Glastar G51 grinder

Started by mel, December 19, 2015, 12:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mel

I have been given a Glastar G51 grinder (and some rather nice sheet glass)-and thought I could grind my lampwork cab bases on it instead of my dremel. I have looked through the instructions, and it looks like I need a sponge to draw water up from a reservoir. The grinding bit looks like it needs to be renewed. So, my question is: is it worth the effort? I don't want to faff about renewing stuff if it's not going to be fit for purpose or turns out to be disappointing. Does anyone use this model and if so, do you think it would be suitable for smoothing off cab bases.
Laughinglass Lampwork Beads

JKC

Hi Mel

It's a useful tool and a new grinder head and won't cost much, but it is more for grinding edges of glass.  If you use the sheet glass to make cabs it is great, but for lampwork where it is the back that you would want to grind, it is a flat grinder that you would want.  Janet

mel

Thanks Janet, it wasn't obvious how I could do my cabs other than side-on to the grinder which looked very awkward. I may see if I can modify it somehow to take my dremmel grinder bit which would give a horizontal flat surface.

Moira HFG

mel

Thanks Moira, I'll check it out.