paragon sc3

Started by Shirl, December 15, 2015, 04:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirl

I finally got some time to make some beads and my kiln won't work, does anyone know where I can get a thermocouple?

Thanks in advance

Lee - Kilncare

What makes you think you need a thermocouple?

Lee

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Shirl

Hi Lee, I am not so sure it is, but if it turns out to be faulty I would like to know where to get one.

I got the error tcl, thermocouple lag?

flame n fuse

Hi
Do you have the manual? I've looked at the manual for my SC2 and there are several possible reasons.
1. worn or burned out elements, defective relays, low voltage and defective thermocouple
2. On kilns that use a portable controller, the thermocouple has fallen outside the firing chamber
3. a bare spot on the thermocouple lead wires has touched a grounded object inside the kiln causing the thermocouple to short out
4. you have programmed a cooling segment temperature that is below room temperature.

so I suppose the first one to check is number 4.
HTH, but it might not.

Shirl

Yes l have the manual, and have eliminated some of the reasons for the problem.  It's not no.4, 3 or 2.

My son has tested it and seems to think it's low voltage and needs a new transformer, I hope he's right :)

Shirley

The most common thing to go wrong is the relay. The tcl code doesn't really point to the thermocouple, in my experience.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Shirl

Thank you. I was going to replace the relay anyway, but my son seems to think it's the transformer.
He tried to buy one today but had no joy, does anyone know where l can get one?

Lee - Kilncare

If it was the transformer, the chances are that the controller would not work at all.

My bet lies with the relay. Swap that, they aren't expensive but are the root cause of 90% of Paragon issues.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Shirl

Thanks Lee, my son can get me a relay, so l will try that first.

Thanks again, I will update when l fix it.

Shirl

Thanks for the info but hubby has ordered one through work, as they have an account with RS components and they sell them

Shirl

I got a new relay and it's fitted, an easy job, all seems okay now. Many thanks to all for your help.