Insurance

Started by scod, November 24, 2015, 08:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scod

Hi, I am new to the forum so hope this message reaches somebody!  I have had a lampwork lesson and am looking to start making my own beads.  On hubbies advice(!) have contacted our home insurance company to see if there is a problem with cover if I work from the spare bedroom or study.  I have also offered to put a dedicated shed in the garden if needs be.  I am looking to do this as a hobby not to sell them.  They have come back to say they will not cover us and if I go ahead will cancel our insurance.  Can anyone advise on this and which companies are willing to offer cover.  Many thanks  Sue

Zeldazog

Hi Sue, and welcome to the forum.

Insurance has been discussed many times on FHF.  You can have a look through the various boards, I'd expect other posts might come under Business/Marketing Advice and Tips, or maybe in the general discussion threads too.

However, an easy way to find all related posts is using the search facility, top right of the screen.  Enter your search word and it will bring up all previous posts using that term. 

SEARCH TIP:  Make sure you're at the 'top' of the forum (click on the logo, top right, or the words Frit Happens directly under the small advertising banners top left, below the navigation menu).

Can't answer your question myself as I am not a lamp-worker, but it has definitely been discussed in depth.

scod

Thank you.  I will do a search and see what I can find.

flame n fuse

It would be interesting to hear of any updated experiences regarding this.

scod

Unfortunately not much to update and am no further forward.  Our insurance brokers are trying to find an alternative.  Apparently our existing insurers are able to accommodate kilns subject to certain restrictions however the use of a gas fed torch represents too much of a risk to them.  They have approached Aviva who have said a brick built garage would be their preferred choice.  We do have one but this houses the car, hubbies golf sticks plus lots of other bits and pieces so there would be no room for me, plus there is no window opener and would be exceedingly chilly with the up and over door open.  Am exceedingly frustrated as I would just like to start playing.  I am going to contact NFU as they have been mentioned previously on the forum but was in 2012.  Would appreciate any suggestions please. 

Moira HFG

It doesn't seem worth cancelling your house insurance for a hobby.
What about your original idea of a shed?
Is there anyone working locally you could rent a bit of space from?

scod

Hi,  I am pleased to report that NFU are happy to cover household building and contents and they have no problem with lampwork.  Their only criteria is that a Gas Safe engineer sets up the bulk propane gas with tank kept outside.  Now need to decide whether to set up in the house or put in shed in garden and be self contained.  Their policy is called household and lifestyle. 

Shirley

I've had my policy with NFU for several years.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Fluffstar

Quote from: scod on December 02, 2015, 10:40:14 PM
Hi,  I am pleased to report that NFU are happy to cover household building and contents and they have no problem with lampwork.  Their only criteria is that a Gas Safe engineer sets up the bulk propane gas with tank kept outside.  Now need to decide whether to set up in the house or put in shed in garden and be self contained.  Their policy is called household and lifestyle. 

Thanks for the update =) useful to know.  I've been freezing my toes off in the summerhouse this winter (and yes I know, it's not even proper winter yet!) so am definitely considering moving to the garage or conservatory when our insurance renews next march!  Until then, hats and scarves and hot water bottles...
Kathy

Trudi

Good on you!

If you fo go outside, before youget all set up invest in insulation!