Frit-Happens !
June 23, 2017, 07:52:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Val Cox Frit
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: foiled glass  (Read 756 times)
shafeenan
Forum Member

« on: August 15, 2015, 05:00:04 PM »

Not sure I am in the right place, but....
I have some unusual shaped pieces of glass (offcuts from a glassblowing project) and want to use copper foil down just one side.
Can I safely do this if I go just round the corner, say, and maybe also add some wire wrapping and solder that into place to make sure the whole piece is held?
Also - can one use any kind of wire and will it take solder if you have cleaned it and used flux? thanks
Moira HFG
Half Full Glass
Forum Member

Ever the optimist

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 06:52:17 PM »

This sounds like an interesting project!

I think you'll have to experiment - but remember that copper foil has no strength, it's the solder that provides that; also the gum on the foil strip is only strong enough to hold it in place whilst you do the solder work. You'll need to create a holder that will surround enough to glass to make it secure.

Copper wire is good for this sort of thing - soft, easy to manipulate, takes solder well (not coated wire, obvs!). I suppose steel wire might work if you have it, though rust might be a problem if you don't cover every bit with solder.

shafeenan
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 10:44:27 AM »

thanks for your help - I'd not really grasped the basis of how the foil holds to the glass and you have clarified it in just a few words. I suppose one usually goes all the way round so it's not an issue.  Hopefully I will get something vaguely suitable and if so will post a picture so you can see what I've not been able to explain in words!  Fingers crossed.....!
Moira HFG
Half Full Glass
Forum Member

Ever the optimist

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 01:11:08 PM »

I look forward to seeing what you come up with  Smiley

Here's something I did with foil and wire. This is dichro on black glass, so I could run foil all the way round without it looking too intrusive. With transparent glass it would look very different. Thinking about it, I'd probably have drilled a hole near the top to take the wire through to make it secure....there's an idea for you!)

Dichro earrings by Moira Robinson, on Flickr

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: