Beadcube, SC2 or Hobbyfuser 3?

Started by MelanieO, May 26, 2015, 11:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Box Studio

My SC2 has a bead door, I didn't have any fusing failures, but I did push my self back a bit.  Because I didn't stuff the bead door with fibre to keep the heat in, I lost some around the edges and it burned the paint away a bit, was looking quite smart until then.  I had it running double shifts before I got a bigger fusing kiln, as soon as the beads were cold enough to come out, they fusing went in, next morning fusing out beads in; I just worried I was over working it a bit.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Nicknack

I put the smaller things (earrings) at the front, near the bead door, and haven't really had any problems.

Nick

MelanieO

Looks like it will be a SC2 with a bead door.  If I get to the stage like Sue of using it 24 hours a day I'll know that's the time to trade up to something bigger.  All I've got to do now is wait for the shed to arrive and I'll be back with questions about ventilation :)

Zeldazog

Quote from: MelanieO on May 27, 2015, 08:45:25 AM
Thank you for all your replies.  Am I correct in understanding that a kiln with a bead door won't be much good for fusing? If I want to do some fusing am I better off getting a kiln without a bead door and doing batch annealing?

I'm going on a fused glass jewellery course next month at Creative Glass which will be helpful.  I'm sure that I will want to be able to make cabs as well as annealing beads as I've enjoyed using bought dichroic glass cabs in the silver jewellery I've made.

If you're only fusing jewellery sized pieces for pendants, cufflinks, cabs, etc it wouldn't be an issue.  In fact, it could work to your advantage if it was slightly cooler at the door end as you might want a slightly lower temperature firing occasionally for a different effect.

When I first did fusing as student and the following year taught it at the same course, we used a ceramics kiln with several shelves.  The temperature can vary greatly from top to bottom, but we worked with that and would put tack fuse and full fuse items all in together, rather than having to do two separate firings.

marklaird

I think I'm with most others on here. I initially went with an SC2 which I use to batch anneal, garage and fuse small items. It's got a bead door and window and I haven't noticed any fuse failures.
After about a year I decided (and persuaded my DW) that a bigger kiln would be useful and went for a Kilncare Hobbyfuser. It's a superb kiln, as others have said, and is actually just as efficient to run as the smaller SC2 because it is so much better insulated.
Would I get rid of one of the kilns now - no definitely not. The SC2 is perfect for beads and small fused pieces and the Hobbyfuser is superb for anything else fusing related.
Anyway that's my penny worth.
Mark

Pat from Canvey

if you only batch anneal, you'll only ever be able to make smaller beads because you'll have to use either vermiculite or cooling bubbles to let your beads cool down. These latter methods are not suitable for larger beads like lentils as you'[ll lose them through cracking.

MelanieO

Thanks.  Think I'm going to go with a SC3 on the basis that the extra internal height will give a few extra options for fusing.

MelanieO

From a bit of googling I discovered the Kilncare Ace.  I spoke to Lee at Kilncare today to find out if they still did them and if not whether they are planning something similar.  He explained that they are considering it and would have a better idea in a couple of months of whether they would fit it into their schedule.  It is the same size as the SC2 but the price point would be slightly higher.  I'm really hoping he does as I'd love to buy a Kilncare kiln that is a bit bigger than the Beadcube but still has a bead door and I'd be happy to pay a bit extra for the reassurance of such great customer service.

Dragonfire Glass

The Prometheus that Martin sells is a good price

MelanieO

I didn't think the Prometheus was manufactured in the UK?

MelanieO

I think I will end up with a bead cube unless Kilncare do reintroduce the Ace. I'm a complete technophobe and I worry about Paragon being based in the USA and not always being that helpful when it comes to customer service.

spexy

I have the SC2 and have recently bought a secondhand Bead Cube. If you are wanting to do fusing and enamelling I wouldn't go with the bead cube, it is too small and really hard to lift things in and out of. I would go with the SC2 or wait until Kilncare have theirs sorted.

I wish that Lee would come up with a SC2 size but with a door like on the bead cube but goes all the way down to the bottom.

Lee - Kilncare

The prometheus is built in Turkey, that doesn't mean it is good or bad, it simply means it is built in Turkey.

I should have a good idea on the possible re-emergence of The Ace (our SC2 equivalent) once I has finished with our new fusing kiln. A few weeks I think.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732