Main Menu

DH Iris colour

Started by Rascal, April 19, 2015, 09:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rascal

Hi, I did some beads with DH Iris, got lovely colours so brought some more at FH had a play yesterday, they went into the kiln with lovely colours and came out this morning having lost all the colour and back to the dark black/blue colour of the rods without any metallic sheen of any shade.

I have a tendency to over reduce so went carefully, did I do it too carefully this time, do you think I didn't reduce enough?

Just as I thought there was a DH glass that liked me  :-\

ajda

What temperature/time in the kiln?
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Trudi

I haven't had much luck with this one ..... But are you making it at the start or end of your sessions. Sometimes these are best done towards the end.

Rascal

Thanks Both,

I use my normal kiln cycle, from memory can't remember the hold temp but will check when I go back out. I never thought to check Facebook. He's done it for longer than I did so will have another go but maybe try for longer wafting in and out of the flame. I also did at the start of the session.

Determined to crack at least one shiny glass!

ajda

Some colours do change at higher temperatures and/or longer kiln times. You can also lose the metallic lustre due to oxidisation in the kiln. Depending on what your current schedule is, you might be able to lower your top temperature - normally you'd balance a lower annealing temp with a longer annealing time, but you should aim keep the kiln time as short as possible too... Check first what DH and others say about minimum annealing times and temps. I've heard of people putting activated charcoal (as used with some pmc) in the kiln to remove oxygen from the atmosphere to protect surface lustre - might be worth a try?
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Blue Box Studio

If you put charcoal in your kiln be careful - it triggers my carbon monoxide detector every time I've tried it. I sent the stuff I was told to get, is for filters not bbqs
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Rascal

Thanks for the warning Sue.

Didn't realise about different schedules for different glass (apart from boro) I'll try that, should have known that something so pretty as DH glass would make us work hard to get the colours.  ;D

helbels

In my experience, kiln temperature rarely makes a difference to the end result - if it's dog ugly going in, it'll be dog ugly coming out!   ;D ;D ;D

However, charcoal can make a difference  ;)

flame n fuse

charcoal triggers carbon monoxide detector because it is producing carbon monoxide. Remember those news items about people suffering carbon monoxide poisoning because they brought still warm BBQs into their tents? So definitely have a detector.

Rascal

Yayyy, thanks to everyone I've got some colour. I'm over reducing a bit now, but feel more confident to try some more.
Yay, finally got some colour from DH Silver Glass by KWebbo, on Flickr

Margram

Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Pat from Canvey

Not just some colour but beautiful colour.