Safety Glasses

Started by richardnash666, April 07, 2015, 11:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardnash666

Hi

I got some ACE202 safety glasses as part of my tuffnells starter kit.

I have some issues in that whether it is the filtering effect or my issues with colour vision (Red, Green, Brown colour blindness) but I struggle to see the glass change colour. I am persevering as decided that doing it without the glasses where I can see what the glass is doing is a damned site more dangerous. Wondering if there were some other options.

Also are these ok for working Boro as have some and getting a new torch at the weekend from Flame Off along with Oxycon and pipes etc. Have looked at the boro glasses but they are expensive

(my colour vision probably makes for some interesting bead colour mixtures  8) )

flame n fuse

is this change colour as in getting hot, or as in striking?

richardnash666

It is the colour change as the glass warms up/melts.

If I don't use the glasses the flame around the glass changes colour, but put glasses on that is invisible to me, and the bead does change colour but not by very much.

I can get by OK but have to concentrate a bit hardr to see the change

Pat from Canvey

Are you relying on the glass changing colour to tell whether it's soft enough to wind or for some other reason? I tend to go by the feel of the glass, as in if it's liquid enough to wind around the mandrel. Can you tell us a bit more?

Moira HFG

I think I know what you mean, Richard, I remember when I started on a Hot Head I struggled to see whether I was holding the glass in the hot part of the flame or if it had drifted out. If i peeked over the top of the diddys I could see easily because of the yellow sodium flare when the glass was properly in the flame. At the time I was also struggling to hold the mandrel level, and keep it turning!

I think it's a matter of learning through experience when you are holding it in the right place. You may need to peek occasionally, or try looking from the side. I don't know if colour blindness will make this harder, but I'm sure it's still possible!

Sorry, you will need different glasses for boro. I believe some say you can wear welding glasses (shade 3 or 5) over diddys, but it will be pretty cumbersome! This has been discussed on the forum, search for more info.

richardnash666

That pretty much somes up the issue I have so not going to change glasses. Will have to buy some Boro ones at some point.....Maybe can persuade Martin to chuck some into a deal on saturday  ;D

Moira HFG

Good luck with that Richard!  :D

I think you'll find this problem vanishes with a dual-fuel torch, because the different parts of the flame look more distinct.

Rob Bending - Chemical Brother

And it may sound silly, but the quality of your light and the background can be important, too.

When setting up DW's 'beadoir' I automatically used white tiles as the worksurface, to keep high levels of light around.

But when I'm allowed to use the beadoir, I find the flame gets 'lost' and I work on the witness of the mandrel / bead response.

I can't help thinking I should replace the white tiles with black ones so that the flame is more visible against this background.

BTW, have 4 x 10W LEDs flooding the area with light.

But I don't have the torch-hours experience of most posters here......

richardnash666

As I am already planning on getting a new torch at Flame Off I am hoping Moira's response is going to be a good one :-)

So with a more defined flame areas and it being quieter than a HH on MAPPgas I should be on for a winner.

Have now spotted some clip on Boro glasses designed to go over the ACE 202 ones so will try and get those as well as at mo will only be playing with Boro. Will spend the 100+ on proper glasses for Boro if or more likely when I start working it more

flame n fuse

I use a black 'plumbers' mat' as background to provide contrast with the flame - but not when I'm trying to look at the tips of black stringer! I work in a north-facing room, so overall the lighting is quite subdued and use anglepoise lamps for spot lighting. If the room is sunny it's harder to see the flame.

richardnash666

I do have a black (Ish) background as use a baking sheet on a fire blanket to catch those pesky bits of hot glass. But do tend to block out sunlight and put lights on when working as have found the flame hard to see in strong light.

Calico Cat

Quote from: Rob_B on April 08, 2015, 10:34:39 AM

I can't help thinking I should replace the white tiles with black ones so that the flame is more visible against this background.

Black tiles will give you a much better view of the flame - so will setting the workbench so that any window is behind you - certainly don't want sunlight in your eyes - you can't see the flame and that's when you burn yourself.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .