Insurance to cover demonstrating at a fair

Started by alan, March 10, 2015, 11:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan

Hello,

I haven't been around for a while, but have been lurking in the background on occasions.

I have been asked to demonstrate lampworking at a craft fair next month so I feel I need public liability insurance. Does anyone know if the policy that comes with A-N membership for £36 a year covers doing demonstrations at a fair? - Are there any gotcha's?

Many thanks A

Blue Box Studio

You can get hold of the underwriters and they will let you know, I think it might be an add-on?

Does this link help? http://www.hencilla.co.uk/unions/a-n/air/aip/  There is a contact us on the page.  They were really helpful when I spoke to them.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

alan

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on March 10, 2015, 03:29:02 PM
You can get hold of the underwriters and they will let you know, I think it might be an add-on?

Does this link help? http://www.hencilla.co.uk/unions/a-n/air/aip/  There is a contact us on the page.  They were really helpful when I spoke to them.

Thanks Sue. I will contact them to ask. Looking at the link you sent, the price for the policy is far more than the £36 quoted on A-N site, so not sure what's going on here.

A

Dragonfire Glass

A-N membership won't cover anything with flames without a hefty additional premium.

Shirley

Mine is with Ian Wallace. Includes selling, demonstrating and teaching. If you're only doing it on the one occasion it might be worth contacting them and asking.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

GaysieMay

Last time I asked AN insurers about it (can't remember name at moment), they said I was fine in my studio, but not elsewhere.  The add was going to cost £90, that was a couple of years ago.  I haven't bothered.  Following with interest though.
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: alan on March 10, 2015, 04:36:33 PM

Thanks Sue. I will contact them to ask. Looking at the link you sent, the price for the policy is far more than the £36 quoted on A-N site, so not sure what's going on here.

A

Because a-n is a member's policy not a personal one.

Even my £800pa home and business cover will not cover me for demoing anything with a flame; that's with NFU.  I'm yet to find anyone who will cover it, i did ask as I was going to move my torch into my big studio for arts week, means I don't have to keep closing one and moving to the other, but can't find anyone who will cover so people can gawp at me through the window and wait whilst I shut one and open the other (else I can't see who goes in/out as I am exhibiting on my own).
Sue

Tonyb

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on March 10, 2015, 06:30:19 PM
Quote from: alan on March 10, 2015, 04:36:33 PM

A

Because a-n is a member's policy not a personal one.

Even my £800pa home and business cover will not cover me for demoing anything with a flame; that's with NFU.  I'm yet to find anyone who will cover it, i did ask as I was going to move my torch into my big studio for arts week, means I don't have to keep closing one and moving to the other, but can't find anyone who will cover so people can gawp at me through the window and wait whilst I shut one and open the other (else I can't see who goes in/out as I am exhibiting on my own).

Hi Sue. I'm interested in demoing at a fair, so mailed Hencilla and this is their response.

'Thank you for your email. We can advise you that if your artistic practice falls within the eligibility criteria for AIR membership through the A-N, then the insurance within the membership provides cover whilst the artist is undertaking activities such as lecturing, teaching or demonstrating visual or applied art including workshops, residencies and community projects.'

So, if you meet the criteria to join AN, then it looks like you are covered to demonstrate in your workshop for your arts week? Or am I reading this wrong.

But I don't think it answers my question about demoing at fairs?

www.beadables.co.uk

Blue Box Studio

Tony, Interesting as when I spoke to NFU they said not naked flames as there is a chance of me singeing someone (from behind a screen, clearly I don't count). I can't be faffed to decamp everything to my other studio now as I'd have to get a screen sorted as well and am out/away most free time until Arts Week, but worth knowing for another time.

People do demo at fairs, trying to think who demos at places like Art in Action .... someone must know.
Sue

Lotti

Certainly a few years back when I was with A-N and wanted insurance to demo Hencilla gave me a mad quote to add this to my cover so I changed to Ian Wallace, (in the end I haven't been demo'ing and probably won't, but have stayed with them).  I am with NFU for home too Sue but got confused about the cover outside home so could be over insured (and don't talk to me about NFU home insurance at the moment, we are not the best of friends!).  Maybe the A-N thing has changed, personally I would go back to talk to them to double check.  Hope you get it sorted. :)

Dragonfire Glass

I thought there was something in their terms and conditions that specifically excludes flames

article 8 in sub-section 1 - exclusions
arising from any special effect involving the use of fire or explosives or the use of pyrotechnics, other than the use
of flash paper, flash cotton or flash string.

and general exclusions
arising from or in connection with the use of any process involving the application of heat away from the
Assured's studio or normal workspace. This exclusion does not apply to the use of pottery ovens, kilns or the use
of any domestic appliance.

alan

Thanks Colette. I think that nails it. You are not covered by A-N for any sort of flame when away from your home or work studio.

Colette also kindly told me that Ian Wallace cover demoing lapworking at craft fairs for about £80 per year.

A

Dragonfire Glass

It's actually £87 - I know because I renewed today :)