Can you make them?

Started by shafeenan, February 01, 2015, 04:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shafeenan

Hope the heading gets lots of you looking!  I am a new fuse glass enthusiast but can't find glass bails anywhere. Except in the States, and I am in England.
It occurred to me that a lamp-worker might be able to make them - a sort of mini half donut bead with flat ends....?
Anyway, it might be an impossibility, but thought it worth asking. Ideally it would be good if they would fuse with bullseye, but if not, I guess I could stick them on?
Love to hear from anyone who'd be able to have a go and with a price if you could work that out too - sure there would be other fused glass makers here who would be interested....
message me at flights-of-fantasy@hotmail.com if  you'd prefer to do this quietly and not alert others to your pricing structure!
Thanks

SMHBuss

Can you post a picture of what you are looking for??

Carl

Nikki

I'm not an expert but I think the ones for sale on etsy are made with a torch. Just make a bead add an extra bit at one side and press with mashers, they have not even bothered to take out the chill makes on the ones for sale, they should be really easy to make for anyone working with COE 96

Trudi

Hi

I've made a couple and have them in the kiln. I've made sure that the back is flat so that it will sit flat on the kiln shelf too (the ones on the link didn't look flat). I won't clean them, all you'll need to do is place a piece of cocktail stick inside and that will burn away in the kiln.

If you pm me your address I'll send you them to try.

Does anyone know if you attach them with a full fuse .... I've never used them.

Trudi

Nb .. I made them with schott which is bullseye compatible ... But I do also have 94 and 96 glass

Zeldazog

The advise with the pre-made ones I bought from USA a few years ago, was a tack fuse - the glass is really too thin and small and area, and does what's called "dog-boning" if you full fuse it.

So I've always full fused the pendants, then tack fused the bails on - which I did with both the pre-made ones and a sample that you sent me ages ago, Trudi  :D

I'll see if I can find a photo

Trudi

Thanks for that Dawn!

I think that the ones I've made now will be better .... At least I hope so! X

shafeenan

You are all so helpful!  Yes, the etsy ones are the ones I'd found and believe me I have tried making 'integral' loops with kilnfire rope (either too hairy or whe used with pva as suggested by someone just seem to fuse solid in the channel. When I have tried using folded thinfirepaper the channels just seem to fill in even when folded 4 times!  Which is why I decided to resort to 'help!'
This is a link for the ones I first saw - on ebay:   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fused-Glass-Art-handmade-apple-unique-gift-for-any-occasion-/131384338677?pt=UK_Crafts_Glass_Art_Supplies_CV&hash=item1e971de8f5
It is a sort of U shape, which is why it occurred to me it would be more likely to have been made by a lampworker - maybe it is possible to just bend rods and mash the ends?!
Anyway, I'm really grateful for everyone's input and will look forward to seeing what Trudi has come up with - maybe a job for life!

Trudi

Here's some pictures

SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA by Glittering Prize - Trudi, on Flickr

SAMSUNG DIGITAL CAMERA by Glittering Prize - Trudi, on Flickr

I've tried to get the backs as flat as possible t make it easier to add the pendant!

shafeenan

Wow - your packet arrived this morning. THANK YOU!  You are amazing - they look amazing - believe me, I am amazed!
I now need to decide on something worthy of adding one to at the weekend. Now my new glastac gel has arrived I think I'll have more success at helping things stay in place than I did with the liquid stuff which was hopeless. Thought I'd try just one at a time to be sure of not wasting them all if I get timing wrong etc. Excitement mounts.  I'll let you have feedback, obviously.
x

Trudi

Have fun!

I've just bought some of the new gel too but haven't tried it yet ... The original studs is just too thin. I usually use pvc glue!