Etch all resist gel, can't make it work - anyone used it?

Started by Irene, November 13, 2014, 09:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irene

I bought a bottle of Etch all resist gel, and when I got it, it was very clay-like and stiff in consistency so I wrote to where I bought it and they sent a New one. It's the same, so now I think perhaps it's just how this Product is, and it's completely useless. With one hand I can barely squeeze something out from the nozzle, shaking so much from the effort that applying in a pattern would be impossible, and it wont stick to the glass, just skids around on the glass almost as if I had oiled the bead before applying it. And I have cleaned it. Anyone used this Product?

Glassy Lou

I've used it and to me it sounds as if you've got a dud batch.
Mine is easy to squeeze out of the tube and I'd say it was the consistency of hand lotion.
I left it to dry and it went sort of rubbery (a bit like glue). After etching it peels off easily.
I had good results but I have to admit to not using it much since my etch all is very old and I've not been able to get hold of any more.
Hope this helps.

Irene

Yes, perhaps I got a bottle from a bad batch, twice. This is very much like a lump of semi-dried glue. I was expecting it to be like lotion or cake icing or something like that. I don't know if I'll bother complaining about this again, they'll just send me another one just like it, never checking it beforehand. Guess I'll just buy some ordinary glue or nail polish as others have told me are OK to use.

Pat from Canvey

I would take a small sample and try to revivify it, firstly with water. Maybe your bottle has dried out somewhat. If water doesn't work, I'd try other solvents.

BeeBeads

They are unusable so I'd return them and ask for a refund.

Irene

If I had bought it from somewhere local, or at least nationally, I would send it back. But I ordered it from USA and it takes forever to be sent back and forth. I will try to mix a piece of it With water, but don't have much hope for that to work, it feels very silicone like.

Moira HFG

I don't expect it will soften in water, if it did it would soak off in the etch. You might try methylated spirits or nail varnish remover, but I'm not hopeful.

As Glassy Lou says, it sounds like the whole batch has gone off. It's very poor service sending you a replacement without checking. If it were me, I wouldn't post it back - I'd send a photo of the lumpy stuff with a firm request for a refund.

Irene

I think so, but I'm Norwegian, living in Norway, so it doesn't help...

Pat from Canvey

I just tried a half teaspoon of my Etch All Resist Gel with a few drops of water, whisked it up and it seemed to liquify beautifully. I even painted a blob with a paintbrush onto a spare white bead and have left it to dry.

Irene

Irene

I took the Whole first bottle I  got and squeezed it in to a glass, the added water and mixed it good and well. Then I poured it back in to the bottle, now I had a bit to spare... I Guess I added a bit too much water, but I think I will do like Pat and use a brush. Two beads are drying now after I used the bottle, just to try it.  Looking forward to see if this Works!

Moira HFG

Well, I am surprised! That's great, I hope it works.  :)

Pegasus

~ BEV ~
www.pegasuslampworktools.co.uk