Cabochons - problems removing them from the mandrel

Started by TheJanie, October 31, 2014, 09:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJanie

Does anyone else have trouble removing cabochons from the mandrel?  Specifically, cabochons made on the popper-sized mandrels from Mangobeads?

I'm not for a moment suggesting it's a problem with the mandrels, btw, just me  ;D

I've found that sometimes the cab pops off the mandrel with just a little twist, no problem.  More often, though, I find it a real struggle to remove them.  I have to go through a rigmarole including lightly tapping the side of the cabochon on a worktop (sometimes not so lightly) and often having to run my pocket knife around the edge where the cabochon meets the mandrel. 

It's not the consistency of the bead release when I dip the mandrels because the ones that come off easily can be from the same batch as some that are stuck.

I invariably end up with blisters on my fingers from all the twisting.  I've yet to have a cabochon permanently stuck to a mandrel although there have been some times when I've nearly given up!

Any tips or is it just me?

MangoBeads

Which bead release are you using Janie - I've not honestly ever had a problem with cabs not coming off they usually just fall off or need a little twist - is the bead release too thin ?

I'm really a bit stumped - we use dip n go and never have any issues .

You could perhaps try wire wooling  and thoroughly cleaning the mandrels and burn them in again .

Sorry not to be more help :(

Shirley

I've occasionally had to prise them off limpet style, but very rarely. No idea why, unless maybe I've broken the bead release somehow.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

lampworklover

Not had any problems here either, all my mandrels are from Manda.

Just a thought, are you going slightly over the edge with the glass, and maybe they 'catch' a bit?

Enchanted Cobwebs

Quote from: lampworklover on October 31, 2014, 10:56:56 PM

Just a thought, are you going slightly over the edge with the glass, and maybe they 'catch' a bit?

Thats just what I was thinking. In fact I do it on purpose with some artistry in glass mandrels as they have no stump and the glass can fall off when I am making them, just a teeny bit on the side holds them fast. Have a look at the underside of one you struggled with and if its got a ridge at the edge it may be the problem.
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

TheJanie

Thanks, all, for your replies - I've been away from my computer for most of the weekend, so haven't had a chance to look until now...

Manda - I use Fusion, which I've never had a problem with.  As I said, some of the stuck cabs are from the same dipped batch and torch session as ones that come off with no problem, so I've ruled out the bead release because of that.  In fact, some of the ones that come off easily have been so loose on the mandrel that one or two have fallen off and bounced across the kitchen floor before I could get to the sink! :D  I know for certain it's not the mandrels at fault :)

Shirley - glad it's not just me!  Although it happens to me rather more than occasionally  :-\

Quote from: lampworklover on October 31, 2014, 10:56:56 PM

It's possible.  I work the glass as right up to the edge, as close as I dare, otherwise I find the finished cab moves too much in the popper base when I glue them in.

Quote from: Enchanted Cobwebs on November 01, 2014, 07:59:12 AM
Thats just what I was thinking. In fact I do it on purpose with some artistry in glass mandrels as they have no stump and the glass can fall off when I am making them, just a teeny bit on the side holds them fast. Have a look at the underside of one you struggled with and if its got a ridge at the edge it may be the problem.

Nope, just checked the ones from Thursday and there's no ridge...

Quote from: chipperpottery on November 01, 2014, 10:37:24 AM
Soak in white vinegar.

I'll try that - I have plenty that I keep in for cleaning :)

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.  I still have blisters from the cabs that gave me some trouble the other day!

Pat from Canvey

Could it have anything to do with how long the coated mandrels have been sitting before you use them or how much you heat the mandrel before applying any glass. Just a few thoughts.

TheJanie

Well, it gets weirder.  I made some cabs yesterday and took care with one or two of them to make the glass go over the edge on purpose to see if I could get one irretrievably stuck.

I dipped all the mandrels yesterday morning and used them late yesterday afternoon.

None of them stuck.  Two of them were a little more difficult to get off but I didn't have to go through the usual blister-inducing palaver - just wrapped a cloth around the cab and gave it a sharp twist.  Note: that alone doesn't usually work.

This is the first time I haven't had a struggle with a single one.  All five cabs came off the mandrels without a fight.

I'm not sure what that says  ???

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on November 03, 2014, 07:19:56 AM
Could it have anything to do with how long the coated mandrels have been sitting before you use them or how much you heat the mandrel before applying any glass. Just a few thoughts.

I don't usually use cabs that have been dipped for longer than two or three days.  I discovered that the bead release is more likely to break whilst I'm using the mandrel if it's been on for longer.