Main Menu

Copper wire

Started by Nikki, October 20, 2014, 03:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikki

Not sure if I am putting this in the right place so feel free to move it.

I have been asked to make some headpins with glass at the end to match some beads for a customer, I have seen other people make a bead right onto the end of copper wire but I have no idea what wire to use and if I would be able to hold the wire or will it get too hot. They are not going to be big so I don't want thick wire. Can anyone suggest the best wire to use?

Thanks
:)

dinah46

For headpins on copper wire I use between .8 and 1mm copper wire ( I generally get it on the reel from wires.co.uk)
I have previously used a small pin vise to hold the wire but my favourite holder is a cheap craft knife with the blade removed as I find it easier to release the wire to get the headpin in the kiln.

GaysieMay

I use .8 copper and use a crocodile clip on the end of a thick mandrel.  :)
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Nikki

Thanks for your help. I have some copper wire and I think I have found a vice that might work, will have a go.  :)

the lady with the lamp

Hi there is a tutorial on a blog called isinglass that shows you how to make them,very clear pics and directions im sure its on blogger you should have a look hope that helps you regards Parin.

Nikki

Thanks Parin, that is a great blog some really interesting things and a great tutorial for the head pins. I am looking forward to having a go.

Nikki

Okay I have made the head pins and am very happy with the results but I have heard I need to tumble them, I have a tumbler but was wondering what you use in it. I was thinking of stainless steel shot but its quite expensive, does anyone use anything else?

Enchanted Cobwebs

tumbling will make the wire shiny but you need to get rid of the oxide on the metal first, I use safety pickle from cooksons but  I'm sure there are other alternatives. I use stainless steel shot, mild steel is cheaper but you need to dry it thoroughly or it goes rusty (hairdryer works a treat). Just remember that all this motion will harden the wire. I find the glass headpins stand up to this well too
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

Nikki

Thanks for that, I have cleaned the wire so it looks clean but not very shiny and it is very soft so the main thing is to harden the metal and I hope add a bit of shine. will give it a go. Thanks

Shirley

Have a look at Manchester Minerals for the shot. It's a lot cheaper than some other places, although you need to watch out for shipping costs.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

myrica

Could I jump on your thread and ask a related question please?

Is it best to garage headpins and other items made on metal or is it safe to cool as usual and batch anneal? I wondered if the addition of metal would cause more stresses in the glass and/or different rates of cooling.

Nikki

I garaged my first lot and batch annealed the second lot to see what happens, I will let you know if they survive the tumbler.

myrica

Thanks; I hope they survive!

spexy

I pickle mine and then just wipe the wire with a brillo pad to make it shiny. I don't harden them as it makes them easier to wire wrap if they are soft.

Nikki

Headpins have now been cleaned and tumbled and all survived even the tiny raised dots so very please. I didn't find any difference between the batch annealed and the garaged all survived the tumbler so very happy.