Propane bottle weight

Started by Tonyb, October 09, 2014, 01:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyb

Just replaced a 6KG propane bottle and when I carried the new one from the car, it didn't feel much heavier than the old one - which was definitely empty. Does anyone know if 6KG refers to the weight of a full bottle, an empty bottle or something else.

Thanks

Tony

www.beadables.co.uk

flame n fuse

Hi Tony According to the website the 6kg cylinder weighs 9 - 10 kg and the gas weighs 6kg. So when they are full they should weigh 15 kg or more.
Julia

Steampunkglass

I think it's the weight of the gas, around the top should be a metal collar that has the original weight of the empty canister on it (which I think might be in pounds and ounces)  so technically it's possible to weigh a canister and see how much gas is left by subtracting the bottle weight.

Never got it to work for me, I normally pick it up and try and see if anything sloshes around inside!

Tonyb

Thanks all,

Will dig out the bathroom scales when I get in (and calculator if the bottle weight is in imperial!)

Tony

www.beadables.co.uk

ARBeads

The cylinder will have a label saying 'tare' weight on it, this is the weight when empty.
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Pat from Canvey

Thanks, that was a very useful tip.

bearyboo

The gas suppliers also do a 'lightweight' bottle which isn't as heavy as the regular ones.