Avoiding bad habits

Started by myrica, August 12, 2014, 01:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trudi

Oh ... And start small and build up size gradually.

Els1

Don't stare at your newly made bead for too long even when you're absolutely impressed by finally managing a new technique. (We've all had that experience, right?  ;D ) Will cause your bead to crack for sure.

Pat from Canvey

Do not put the finger of your dominant hand through the flame  ::)      ::)  ::)  ::) Fortunately I have Boots the chemist burn gel in stock but my finger nail is a fetching shade of brown.

Tonyb

Don't try too many techniques at once - spend time getting good at 1 technique or design so that when you try other designs and have a bad day, you can revert back to something you do well to cheer yourself up!

www.beadables.co.uk

james M knox

Pull your own stringers -

This saves money and helps a LOT with learning heat control

There are a lot of tutorials on the internet on how to do this

I cannot agree more with 'Passing the Flame' - I keep going back to this book for basic things that I keep having to refresh my poor brain with  ;D

JMKnox

myrica

I've been following all the great advice on this thread - thanks everybody.

Have finally got a copy of Passing the Flame and it has made some things clearer. I could get consistently puckered ends or round beads but not both and I now know why!

I can add some things of my own now (before I forget) -

• When you buy a mixed bundle of glass, go through the list in the wiki and separate out any that are prone to being shocky. Use them later when you you've got the basics. I took out the rods that strike and reduce too.
  • Get an apron with a high neck if you're worried about flying glass. Cat gave me one and it's been helpful in building my confidence.
  • Have a plan for what you'll do when the glass won't stick to the mandrel or if the bead cracks when you're working on it - it'll help you not to panic.