slumping break and mould pinch - RESCUE REMEDY anyone?

Started by Lorac, July 24, 2014, 06:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeadMoon

Yay!  Well done!  I lose patience easily and wouldn't have managed to do this so successfully.  Both my "small bead" moulds are thus broken after only one use each :)
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

Warm Glass UK

Hi Carol

We have just seen this and are obviously disappointed that you don't feel that we were as helpful as we could have been as we believe that we are generally good with free lifelong technical information and we spend literally hours on the telephone giving advice to customers and that it's something that we generally do well at - I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectation on this occasion but I have checked the correspondence and our advice at the time still stands as our best estimate of a schedule. If you would like to speak to someone for more advice, please don't hesitate to call either Simon or Megan on 01934 863344. Many thanks.

Lorac

I would love to know what your feelings are on the slumping advice for the Candle Moulds.
The Bullseye tip sheets you link to suggest Slumping 593 - 704  so us novices are a little nervous of exceeding that by nearly 30 degrees!
Your schedule for the mould suggests 735 which has caused some grief in terms of glass 'running' for me - [you have suggested reducing by 20 degrees and then going up if not successful] I am trying to find out what the difference is in terms of effect on the glass between taking temperature down so it feels 'safer' and holding for longer?? or being brave and giving it the higher temperature for shorter time.
Have you had any feedback from other customers on this? and if you do would you normally add tweakings to your schedules? I know it is not an exact science and I know you are happy to discuss problems on the phone but if experiences could be pooled somehow it would be a great service for your customers!
Has anyone at your end used the 4 candle bridge mould in the Hobbyfuser?
many thanks

Warm Glass UK

That's a tricky one... my advice at the moment would be to go with the firing schedule with the mould, the hot temperature is needed to create the dips for the candles to sit in on the candle bridge mould. As a slumping rule in general, it's always better to fire slower, lower, longer; however complex moulds like the candle bridge mould and also smaller moulds will need hotter process temperatures to mould the glass. I would follow the firing schedule given as this is tested and should be correct but we'll also run some tests in the studio on the Candle Bridge mould....