Custom Screen Printed Decals?

Started by Flyingcheesetoastie, May 06, 2014, 07:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyingcheesetoastie

So, I'm starting to experiment with decal making using my water based enamels and screen printing process.  If I get this working, would this be something people are interested in? What temperature enamels appeal most, high fire (750+), mid range (650ish) or low firing (500)?  I will probably limit colours to a maximum of three in a design too, and not planning on doing CMYK separations or anything that fancy.

What do people think?

Flyingcheesetoastie

Wow.....

Well that's good to know that I shouldn't be wasting my time on this then!  ???

Nicknack

Sorry, I think you just blinded us with science. :) CMYK separations???  I might be interested in decals, but not in any great amount.  Not sure what temp, but preferably to go in with the ones you get from Warm Glass - can't remember off hand what temp they are, and can't go to look, as I'm waiting for a delivery;  2nd day, could come any time between 7.30 and 17.30.  "Nobody in" yesterday - wasn't expecting them till today, and someone was in all day, anyway!  Grrrrrrrrr!

Nick

marklaird

I'm in Nicks camp - I don't think I understood the question.

I'm interested in decals for fusing, especially if it's possible to do true black ones, as I understand from research the home printed ones from the kits tend to go brown when fused.

Would it be possible to see some examples to get a better idea what you are experimenting with?

Mark

Rachels

Yes please, this is something I would be interested in.  But as with the others I haven't enough experience with decals to request the best temperature range for the decals.  I know in the past some of my decals have lost quite a bit of colour when they have come out of the kiln.  But I now have a new kiln (Skutt Firebox 14), so I may have more success with them in the future.

June

Would be great to get custom colour decals, but I am not sure about being limited to 3 colours.  Mark, the ones you refer to come out as sepia, though that is basically brown!  :)

beadammed

I'd be very interested in decals suitable for 104 glass beads
Geraldine
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/strikingglassstudios

Zeldazog

Potentially, yes, Rachel, although personally if I couldn't have full colour (and I appreciate the complexities of that!) I'd probably just want single colour designs - for me, probably mid or high so that I didn't have too many firings needed.

Would there be an option for metallic/lustred enamels?

jobead

I'm in the I think I might be interested but ?$£%?? camp.  :)

shafeenan

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!