Monthly Colour Challenge May 2014 *Up and running!*

Started by Nammie, May 02, 2014, 12:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nammie

For whatever reasons we haven't had a monthly challenge for a while and I, for one, miss them. They were a bit of fun plus they challenged me think about theme or colourway I might not have otherwise picked. They often got me out of a rut or pushed me in a new direction. Plus is was interesting to see where everyone else's brains went on a theme or did with a colour.

I have contacted Krysia but understand she has had some problems and I know Kaz has been down under for a while, so....

.....at the risk of getting stabbed with bent mandrels, I'm going to stick my neck out and propose a Colour Challenge for May. (If no one stabs me quickly enough or there is a positive response I might even suggest a Theme Challenge as well)

I suggest BLACK & WHITE for May (I'm guessing most of us have some of one, if not both, of these colours handy so it should be an easy restart)

If you've not taken part in challenge before (or need reminding), all you have to do is create something (bead, cab, off mandrel, fused piece, whatever you like) using those colours (not exclusively if you don't want it). It should be new work this month and you should post a picture in this thread for us all to see.

Let's stick with the same deadlines as before so midnight (ish) on the last day of the month however, the mention of deadlines brings on the thought of prizes - In the past these challenges have been sponsored by suppliers who have provided the prize (winner picked at random from all the entries). I'm not making any promises but, depending what the response is like to this proposed challenge (and if I survive the stabbing), I am happy to investigate to possibility of restarting that practice.

I hope this proposed challenge doesn't upset anyone, its not intended to at all. I just thought instead of sitting back moaning about the lack of monthly challenges I'd offer to get them started again.

Skyblue

Great idea ! Nammie :) I have missed the challenges too and have an idea for the colour theme already, so thank you for starting this again. :)

GaysieMay

Maybe a number generator thing could pick a person who participated to pick the following months colours?   :)
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Nammie

Quote from: GaysieMay on May 02, 2014, 08:16:21 AM
Maybe a number generator thing could pick a person who participated to pick the following months colours?   :)

That's a good idea! Perhaps the winner should pick the next month's theme (or perhaps the next but one to keep things flowing without a gap). I did wonder if the sponsors had any say in colour theme as it would  be daft to declare something that Tuffnell's etc only had 2 rods of....

ruth

yes, I think it is a great idea to revive the challenges and I commit myself to taking part. Promise not to laugh at my attempts.

Having also attempted a couple of pieces from SLT recently I might also start a challenge of Fugly bead of the month otherwise known as over ambitious stretch target!!!!  

Ruth
sewnthings
Frittering the children's inheritance.

Kaz

Thanks for picking this up Nammie.....I'll contact you re: how the prizes have worked in the past though you may want to investigate new avenues.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

DementedMagpie

Well done for taking the initiative! I have enjoyed these challenges in the past, and I miss them, too.

I get some torch time this weekend, and I recently got some Father Ted's Socks Black that I haven't played with yet, so I might even make something for this.
Kathy

Blog - Flickr - Etsy - Facebook

Hotglass28

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

miss softpaw

Yay cant wait to get some torching done. Hopefully everything will sort itself out for krysia

Carefulkate

I love the idea of the fuglie prize as that is one I am sure I could compete for but I will try to make something that resembles a bead in black and white what fun :o :o

helbels

I got a bit overexcited on the torch this evening and made my bead for the "proposed" challenge!   ;D

Blue Box Studio

Ooh, good, I've missed the colour challenge and for once I have the colours.  Granted not a lot of white as my last lot was machine gun frit-in-a-stick and went in the bin!  This will make me get out there tomorrow ....  Perhaps if we can't get a sponsored prize we could just come up with a prize of our own, most people are happy just to have won 'something'?

Hope Krysia is OK?
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

jeannette

Margram

Well that's odd - I was browsing the challenge section last night and considered offering to help out...but didn't want to rock any boats ::) Well done Anna :D
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

ajda

I've not entered one of these before, but would like to support the move to restart them. I'm not sure of the protocol - can I enter more than one item in a month for example? Because I hope this isn't the best I can do for May - a not-very-sophisticated wig-wag egg... a wig-wegg perhaps? Made today, experimenting with some boro blacks and whites to see how they behave together.

Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com