double curve mould

Started by sandmor1, March 08, 2014, 05:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandmor1

ok...I know I am waaaay ahead of myself here (the kiln doesn't even arrive until next week) but I would love to know the answer to this...

"Contemporary Fused Glass" by Brad Walker..Page 90 ..Nested Waves. How would the lovely "brush" marks be fused on the glass ?

I am assuming this is not a secret technique, if it is I appologise for asking.

Sandra

Zeldazog

Read the description of the piece, there's a bit of a clue  ;) ;D

sandmor1

Sorry, I didn't mean the shape...I meant the markings. I'm assuming these are added with maybe a paint of some kind, before slumping....

Quote from: Zeldazog on March 08, 2014, 06:25:31 PM
Read the description of the piece, there's a bit of a clue  ;) ;D

Zeldazog

I know you didn't mean the shape.  The blurb tells you though... ;)

sandmor1

Oh dear...I must be very dim....I still can't find anything on it. But I will work on it :-)

Quote from: Zeldazog on March 08, 2014, 07:09:02 PM
I know you didn't mean the shape.  The blurb tells you though... ;)

SilverGems89

I can't help, my version of contemporary warm glass must be different to yours, I can't find the piece you are asking about (it's certainly not on page 90!)

sandmor1

I have Contemporary Fused Glass" which I gather is the updated version of Contemporary Warm Glass" by Brad Walker

Quote from: SilverGems89 on March 08, 2014, 07:57:21 PM
I can't help, my version of contemporary warm glass must be different to yours, I can't find the piece you are asking about (it's certainly not on page 90!)

Zeldazog

"Fused to create texture, then slumped"

As far as I can tell, there's no paint, it's purely textured, coloured glass.

sandmor1

Oh.. so in this case, it is just a question of finding the correct glass..I had assumed there was more to it than that.

I really like the colours...

Quote from: Zeldazog on March 08, 2014, 08:34:15 PM
"Fused to create texture, then slumped"

As far as I can tell, there's no paint, it's purely textured, coloured glass.

Pauline

I now have a kiln large enough to do more than coasters so am looking for a comprehensive beginners warm glass book so I don't have to constantly ask my daughter how to do things.  would you recommend this book or suggest any others?

Hamilton Taylor

"Fused to create texture" means the texture is in the mould.

Sean

Zeldazog

Quote from: sandmor1 on March 08, 2014, 09:43:21 PM
Oh.. so in this case, it is just a question of finding the correct glass..I had assumed there was more to it than that.

No, it would have started life as smooth, coloured fusible glass. As it says, it was then fused to create texture. It would have then been fired again into a slumping mould (it would have been done in two separate firings)

Quote from: Pauline on March 08, 2014, 09:46:42 PM
I now have a kiln large enough to do more than coasters so am looking for a comprehensive beginners warm glass book so I don't have to constantly ask my daughter how to do things.  would you recommend this book or suggest any others?

Pauline, in my opinion, it is a great book to start with - the main difference between the two versions is the earlier one, whilst technically competent, I thought the projects were sometimes a bit dated - I've barely looked at the new version recently - the main reason I got it is so that if my students ask me to recommend a book, I can have that to hand to show them - it contains good, solid, reliable information on a variety of kiln techniques.

Another great source of information is Bullseye - their tip sheets have loads of useful techniques and advice too. 

sandmor1

Thank you for the help with this.

I'm sure it will be a while before I am confident enough to attempt something like this but it is something to aim for.

With regard to the book...It has a lot of information in it but it is the only one I have so I am unable to comment as to whether it is good or not.

I am thinking of subscribing to the Bullseye tutorials ($39/£26 for the year) and will have a look on Amazon for more books.

I know I can get almost all the info I need online and from excellent forums like this but I like to actually look at BOOKS (and yes I do have a Kindle Fire  ;D)

Sandra

Pauline