Hothead to Mega Minor, What to expect?

Started by Anthony, March 06, 2014, 12:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Thanks everyone.

Decisions.. ...

Might have to reconsider the minor if there's not much difference from the mega, really like the color though!

The alpha looks very nice also.

Which has the widest flame on one oxy, minor or alpha?

Think I'll have to keep reading, YouTube etc.

On a plus side I made my first bicones tonight so its all good!

Anthony

Been looking again at Nortel's site, they claim the mega runs hotter using the same resources as minor as its there latest model.

Does this mean its optimised for oxycons?

Has the minors design changed much since the 50s?
Was anyone using an oxycon in the 50s?

Mmmmmm, more confused than ever.

tuffnell glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

Sheena

Hi,
I too am just upgrading from hothead to dual fuel.
I  travelled from Ireland to visit Tuffnells to try out a couple of torches.
Martin and Teresa were fab. Very generous with their time and knowledge.  :)  I'd mostly decided on a minor and spent a bit of time on one there. I ruled out the Gtt bobcat because I'm too far away if there's a problem. I decided to make just one bead on the bethlehem alpha.
The only way I can describe it...... I felt like I had 'come home' . Even my Mum who came with me said I looked far more comfortable on the alpha. So I've gone with the alpha.

It seem to me to be much like the apple / android debate.  Very much personal opinion. Flame off is well worth it.....
Have fun

Sheena

tuffnell glass

Hi Anthony,
                  The flame is slightly wider on the Minor with a single oxy-con compared to the Alpha . The Alpha flame is tighter , more like a stringer cutting flame whereas the Minor can appear "wafty" in comparison.

Martin

www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

Jellybean

I really love my alpha. I started on a minor, for a year. Loved that too while I had it...  :)

Anthony

Thanks peeps,

I think it'll be the mega or alpha, either way I'll be a happy guy!

I've been rereading the torch posts on LEC, phew, some heavy reading.
Don't mention using propane indoors over there.

If only my hothead was a hell of a lot hotter and a hell of a lot quieter.
I know I'm new but it takes me an hour to make a bicone 1.75" long by 1" wide. Great fun though, and very relaxing.

Right, off to research to some more  ::)

tuffnell glass

Hi ,
  All this information can be so confusing , the US forums are full of threads. I know when I have been to shows in the USA that there "health & safety "is amazing!!! What they do with oxygen/propane cylinders and hoses would have you shut down in the UK for dangerous practice's.

cheers ,
Martin

www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: tuffnell glass on March 11, 2014, 07:21:08 AM
What they do with oxygen/propane cylinders and hoses would have you shut down in the UK for dangerous practice's.
Yet it's the land where it's legal to carry guns.

Anthony

Still can't decide!

I'm now considering bobcat and mini cc as well.

Choices .....

Sarah A

Quote from: Anthony on March 16, 2014, 12:03:39 AM
Still can't decide!

I'm now considering bobcat and mini cc as well.

Choices .....

Not sure if this will help or add to your confusion but 6 months ago I changed from a mega minor to a mini cc and haven't looked back. I absolutely love it!!

tuffnell glass

Hi ,

This will need a forum of its own . The Bobcat is much finer flame and the Mini Cc is very very oxygen hungry , it will work on a standard 5ltr oxy-con but really needs more to run like it would on oxygen . I remember playing with one on oxygen cylinders years ago and watching the gauges go down very quickly .

Martin

www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

Pauline

Anthony if there is any way you can get to Flame off that would be the best way to try all of them out and more as well. you can talk to Martin and loads of other lampworkers.  is there any way that you could either bring your father with you (we are all friendly) or arrange for some one to stay with him.  If not the offer to try my mega minor still stands, I also have my daughters minor here that we could set up as well. I am only down the road in Bridgend as it looks like you are Llanelli based

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: Pauline on March 17, 2014, 01:41:23 PM
Anthony if there is any way you can get to Flame off that would be the best way to try all of them out and more as well. you can talk to Martin and loads of other lampworkers.  is there any way that you could either bring your father with you (we are all friendly) or arrange for some one to stay with him.  If not the offer to try my mega minor still stands, I also have my daughters minor here that we could set up as well. I am only down the road in Bridgend as it looks like you are Llanelli based

I think the above is very good advice, one maybe you should heed.  With so many torches to choose from the task of choosing the next one can be some what daunting, and you do seem uncertain.  Another consideration for you, is for you to gauge your own current level or standard of work on your hothead, though this setup can really hold people back but then again I have seen some excellent pieces of work produced on them.

Only my opinion -  A hothead is great for learning the basics of how glass moves, reacts and overall control, though I found when moving from my hothead onto a big girls torch that it was certainly a whole different kettle of fish, basically it was like starting all over again, though quicker.

If I could do it all again and knowing what I know now, I would have certainly have bought a dual fuel from day one!

Another thing, is if you were to research the torches topics on here, I am sure you will read that most folks have worked with the trusted steed of a Minor for a few years and then moved on to a flame thrower or other :D  Again, like I mentioned somewhere else, the Minor is a jolly good work horse and not many people sell them on as they tend to keep them as they are really dependable and they do hold there money. 

When you do decide to buy, buy it from Tuffnells - excellent customer service through & through A++++++++++++

Best of luck  ;)

Anthony

Sorted!

Im getting a used ( but not too much ) mini cc for a good price.

From what I've read the flame is not that dissimilar with the hothead and hopefully on one oxy won't be too much of a step up for me.

Maybe add another oxycon in the future and then, who knows, maybe a bravo ...

Thanks again everyone.