DECALS TO GIVE AWAY

Started by DeePoole, February 28, 2014, 08:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeePoole

I just wanted to say Thankyou to anyone who took an embellishment to try out. I have some ready cut shapes on my site or larger pieces so you can cut your own. I've found that anything larger than about 50mm traps too much air when the glass melts, so the large pieces are only 60mm square, but it does make a lot of little iddy bits. The effect I love best is when there is a shadow beneath the embellishment which is achieved by either placing it on dichroic next to the glass side, not the coated side, or placing it on thin transparent, or thin clear over an opaque base. Then cap with clear. If you want to cut a larger shape, like these hearts which are 40mm, they work perfectly as solid shapes and even better as lacey shapes. Any offcuts can be used.  When the glass becomes molten and begins to shrink in at the sides, the embellishments can crinkle a little like a dichroic glass effect, but they still work beautifully. I've tried real metal, expensive foils, wires, mesh, and fuseable paint and I didn't get such good results as I do with this. I have a really lovely pale pearl pink to show you soon. They don't work with lampwork or ceramics but for all types of glass, they are brill x

Angie

What are the decals made from? They look like dichroic.
www.angiesnelling.com
In the future, all will be glass...

DeePoole

Thank you! They do look quite a bit like dichro, and if you use 2mm thin clear dichro as the capping layer, it looks like you cut out something really intricate in dichroic glass. They are made with various inert stuffs depending on the colour.

JKC

Hi Dee

Got my sample, thanks.  Just waiting to get my kiln controller back from kiln care to try it.

Janet

garishglobes

I know you said they don't work with lampwork.... But just to be awkward, do you think they might be lampworked if they didn't actually touch the flame but were always protected by a layer of clear?? I know this helps with the dichro I use, so am wondering..

Glassy Lou

Mine arrived yesterday and it's lovely. I can't wait to use it, but want to see if I've got some 2mm dichro to cap it with first. Thanks ever so much Dee. X

DeePoole

I've replied to you about the lampworking....fingers crossed and let us know if it succeeds. Anything is worth a try once xxx

DeePoole

These are hearts cut from the silver material on top of dark dichroic. I have been trying to get a basic cloisonne effect and I now think that if you could cut the embellishment just inside the dichro, then put the dichro on a different colour base, then top with clear, (hope this makes sense!) it would work better. What I can't show in this pic very well is that the spaces in the embellishment fuse a slightly different shade.

I've got more pics on my site under 'Fusing Embellishments'.

The site address is www.ju-san.co.uk

Barnacle Bay

Received my one - and I will have a go soon, still drooling over my new addition to the family  ;)

Enchanted Cobwebs

Thank you, mine has arrived. Hubby loves it and has been looking on your website for some more soon!

Hx
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

MeadMoon

Thank you, mine has arrived too and I hope to try it sometime this week.
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

June

Thank you very much for mine, Dee  :)  I made a pendant putting the letter on blue adventurine capped with clear. I have uploaded a photo on my flickr but cannot post here as I can't get the bbcode on my phone. My flickr should be http://www.flickr.com/photos/beaujolaisbeads/

DeePoole

It's lovely June!  I have never tried adventurine glass. Thanks for showing me and I'm really glad it worked xxx

June

Thanks, Dee. I didn't have any dichro on clear, only black, hence using adventurine!  :)