Join me in a 40 bead challenge?

Started by JaySpangles, September 17, 2013, 11:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenefer

Righteo! Two batches, since I've just done a bunch of pic taking.

colors: bullseye cobalt and periwinkle

First group: beads 23-30

next one: 31-35

Whew, almost done!!!

'Love your colours Sarah, seems like so much more than 2, and reminds me of Marrakesh for some reason!

Kalorlo

I finished my dots a couple of weeks ago, here are the last two sessions and the full strand. I'll have a break before beginning the three colour version - I think I will try to make those rounder, since that gives you more space for patterns.

My dots have got better and I do like some of the patterns I made - I prefer the ones with larger dots. My placement could still do with improvement though, I put them down a tad impatiently and don't space them out equally or even them out to exactly the same size, just close enough.

Last-but-one session: there's a random various-sized dot bead, some pawprints and the one on the end is an eye.

Kalorlo

DementedMagpie

Finally, my next batch: 8 to 13 (between the two knots in the cord). Will post 14 to 19 as soon as I've had time to edit and upload the photos.

What I learned when making this lot:
- From now on, all my dots will be made with stringer. Even the big ones. Makes it far easier to control the size and shape.
- Getting them all to be a similar size is generally possible. But only if the bead is already round when I start applying the design. I still don't know how to estimate the size of the disc which can be melted into a round of a particular size.
- Still on the subject of number 11: I still can't do neat stripes. Or, apparently, ones that are centred as opposed to drifting over to one side. However, I'm very pleased with the result of the rescue attempt, that's a design I may use again.

Kathy

Blog - Flickr - Etsy - Facebook

DementedMagpie

Here's 14 to 19. I'd say the last two are my favourites in this batch.

Three-and-a-bit sessions down, probably another four to go. I'll do it over Christmas.
Kathy

Jenefer

Whoohoo! I am done!

Colors: bullseye periwinkle and cobalt.

Lessons learned and observations:

• use colors with more contrast. My eyes bugged out trying to see where to place dots with this combination.
  • periwinkle is shocky, be prepared for it!
  • for me, it's difficult to create anything asymmetrically pleasing with only dots
  • have a plan in mind for the first two beads of the session and let inspiration move me thereafter
  • how delightful it is to realize I don't have to consciously think about making sure they're round anymore...I've got the muscle memory down!
  • I may do another set with one solid and one transparent

Thanks to all for the inspiration and special thanks to Janet for organizing this and providing the motivation!

=) Jenefer

Jenefer

And here's my final strand. I think I got the last ones out of order, but hey ho...they're all there ... and ready to wear to my show tomorrow! =)

Yeeehaw!

flowerjasper

Beautiful Heather, infact all of them are just stunning.
It took a while but mine are  finished, a long necklace with dotty bird dangles.
Am pleased infact tempted to do it all again  :o but use colours that keep crisper lines

crumpet 006 by Flowerjasper2, on Flickr

helbels

Well folks, I FINALLY finished the 40 bead challenge Part 2 - it's taken me ages, and at times the beads seemed never-ending!  The finished strand is about 24 inches long, and I actually think could be used as an offensive weapon, it's so weighty!

Here's the finished article (the last 9 beads are at the front).

IMG_0879 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

DementedMagpie

These are 20 to 25. Bit of a mixed bag: I am happy with 3 out of the 6.

Kathy

DementedMagpie

Right, then, here are the final three sessions.

26 to 31. I think this was my most successful session - everything went more or less according to plan, and the sizing is the most consistent. And I'm very pleased with the way the designs came out (BTW, credit where it's due: I admit I filched the fourth one from the left from Madeline Bunyan, it was just so pretty...)

Finally, 32 to 37 and 38 to 40:

Kathy

DementedMagpie

Ta-daa! All 40, with the first one in the middle.
Well, that was fun. I was going to make myself a big necklace with the lot of them, in order, but then my mother asked if I could make her a choker with "whatever was left over" (I think she "didn't hear" the "all the beads" part), and I thought, well, why not. So now 27 of the 40 beads are a necklace, and I have kept my favourite 13 for myself.

Kathy

myrica

My first ten! I'm having a slight(!) problem with size control, but it's a good learning process.

Has anyone else got some to share?