studio flooring

Started by catriona, August 13, 2013, 12:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catriona

has anyone got laminate on studio floor if so how do you find it stands up to bits of flying glass.
xxcatxx

Pat from Canvey

If it's any help, I have cheap carpet tiles around my torch area. If I get a large burn, I cut out a square with a stanley knife and replace with a bit of spare tile. Small burns don't tend to show up much and none catch fire, just smoulder a little. The tiles are rubber backed.

dinah46

I've got laminate flooring in my shed and it's been fine so far although I haven't dropped anything hot and gloopy yet. I haven't noticed any issues from flying bits of glass.

Just worked out that it's been down 3 years already - where does the time go :o

Barnacle Bay

I have laminate and hot fly offs have caused small burns to it.  Also, it will scratch from the fly offs as mine has just through not noticing them and walking over them.  I think the carpet tiles are an excellent idea as Pat has.  My flooring is relatively new so I am not that happy with regards to the small amounts of damage as it wasn't cheap, and damn hard to replace the lengths where damage is if I wanted too.  I will be getting a large cheap rug soon!

catriona

Thanks i,ve got it down but wasn,t sure how it would be i think i,ll use your tip round torch area pat and put down tiles .
xxcatxx

HelenV

I have looked into getting these: http://shop.tacttiles.com/garage-floor-tiles-pennylok-14mm/p358

They aren`t cheap but the sample they sent was great - it will mark with hot glass but they are flame proof, and over time you can replace individual tiles.

I think they look easy to clean and will be a good insulator.

Hx

www.helenvanekdesign.co.uk
www.etsy.com/shop/helenvanekdesign

MadelineBunyan

well you've seen mine, I have laminate. I didn't like the carpet that was in my old studio, cheap commercial type, I guess fire retardant or something but it melts and leaves black bits, the smell of it when you drop a hot thing was nasty, can't be good for you! also if for example you dropped something like a freshly pulled murrini cane, it had melted black goo on it which you then had to clean off.

I don't find I get many burns on the laminate, a couple but the pieces were quite big and very hot, the normal end ping-offs don't seem to mark.
yes it scratches to some extent, with escaped bits of glass, under my stool for example, and I did make a bit of a dent knocking a press onto it from worktop height.

before we laid it I took a scrap of it to my old studio space and abused it with hot things and was pretty impressed, it took really hot glass dropped from a close range to really make a mark. but I guess it probably varies from brand to brand, sounds like yours isn't as good barnacle bay, but mine was by no means an expensive one. (Tega is the name of it, it was on special from magnet)

bead release cleans off it a treat!

helbels

I used to have carpet but now have laminate.  The laminate has some very small marks, but seems pretty resilient on the whole, and I tend to hoover after each session to minimise scratching etc.

bearyboo

If it helps, I have stone tiles down. They are about £6 a pack and 2 packs is plenty enough for my 8x6 schedule. I get no marks and dropping glass has not caused any marks so far.

Danielle x