How do you organise your glass?

Started by Glassy Lou, August 01, 2013, 03:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glassy Lou

After years of storing my glass in a metal cabinet with drawers, I wanted something bigger and easily accessible.
So this week, I (with help from my dad) have spent three days cutting, smoothing and assembling 300 metres of pipe. I have to confess that now it's finished I haven't got the faintest idea of how to order my glass. Should it be in colour by manufacturer, by number codes or just as it comes out of the cabinet? I just want a way of doing it so that I'm not forever moving it about when i get a new colour.

I wonder, when all my glass is in, will I be shocked at how sparse it looks or how full...  :o

Oh, here's a pic in case anyone wants to see. 360 spaces in total...

image by GlassyLou, on Flickr

helbels

Can't help at all I'm afraid as I have a tiny space for my glass.  Personally I'd probably order by colour, but that's just me.

Enchanted Cobwebs

thats a lovely lot of space, bet its full before you know it!

I used tubes too and ordered mine by colour and as I like to make close colour harmonies so having like colours together with opaque and clear mixed works for me.

I should have left extra space in between for all the new ones that Martin keeps tempting us with. Many of my new ones are in a meaningless heap as I ran out of tubes (though in my defense I didnt have that many to start with...)

Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

mizgeorge

I like to sort by make, then by colour as I had some problems with rods that looked very similar and were in fact wildly incompatible with eachother.

I have a separate section for non-104, and another for very precious or expensive stuff. And then the rest is in a big pile where I ran out of space...

When I had tubes, I colour coded the ends to make sure I never accidentally picked up something that was the wrong COE.

Lynnybobs

Same as George for me - I sort first by manufacturer and then by colour - this has been useful as I can easily see I really don't need any more blues !
Lynnybobs
----x----

helbels

Quote from: mizgeorge on August 01, 2013, 04:06:13 PM
I have a separate section for non-104, and another for very precious or expensive stuff.

Ooh lucky you - I don't think I have anything that precious or expensive!

mizgeorge

Quote from: helbels on August 01, 2013, 05:50:30 PM
Quote from: mizgeorge on August 01, 2013, 04:06:13 PM
I have a separate section for non-104, and another for very precious or expensive stuff.

Ooh lucky you - I don't think I have anything that precious or expensive!

It's a very small section ;)

fionaess

One rack for boro and another rack for 104.. boro is all labelled, 104 isnt except for DH and 'funny stuff'- lol

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

jobead

I keep maker separate then transparent or opaque then by colour. However there is no way my glass stash would ever fill that amount of storage !

Purple Cobwebs

I'm by colour too. I leave a few spare holes at the end of each colour run so that I can add more!

My silver glasses are in a separate beadcube, and my bullseye and gaffer glass are each in a big pot.

Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

Calico Cat

My 104 is organised in tubes in the sections of an IKEA unit by make, by colour

I also have one of the glass "cube" dividers in the top section where I keep all my non 104 glass so I don't grab it by mistake  ;)

Carole

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Kaz

By make first and then by colour. Mine are in drawers so it's neutrals, reds and oranges, blues, greens, pinks and purples! Silver glass etc. is in two drawers - reducing and striking!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Lyn G

I have two cabinets filled with tubes.  One is all Effetre, the top half is opaque and the bottom half is transparents, and then each half is sorted by blues, greens, purples, etc.

The other cabinet is CIM and Reichenbach, only roughly sorted by colour.

I then have a large pile of glass because I need to make another cabinet and cut up more of those tubes......horrible job!   ::)

Did you cut yours manually or by electric saw?  It makes such a mess, doesn't it!   :o

The Tartan Trout

I'm by colour for all my 104. It's like a lovely rainbow :) DH comes after the rainbow then followed by any non 104. I use a silver sharpie to mark the rods I think might get mixed up. Like Electra. I've picked this up rather than turquoise more than once. Clear is in a jar on my bench as is the zephyr but it has also been sharpied :)

Glassy Lou

I used a mitre saw for the first lot then dad discovered a pipe cutter in his shed and that was a much cleaner cut. It was still a hell of a long job though  :-\

I liked the idea of a rainbow effect but for the time being I'm trying by manufacturer/code. It doesn't look as pretty though...

X