Portable lampworking demonstration

Started by Pam, July 14, 2013, 10:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaysieMay

Check the terms of your policy too - I can do demos from my own premises but not at other venues on the bog standard policy - costs me an extra £90 a year on my policy. x
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Jane C ♫

As a sole trader, you can get £2, or £5m public liability insurance. You can't get £10m (or it's very very expensive / hard to get). £2m covers you for most small events. Larger events will want £5m insurance. I get mine from Ian Wallace, and it covers me for fairs / demos / teaching both at home and out and about.

If you are taking electrics, such as kiln or oxycon, they should be PAT tested.

Make sure you have a screen round 3 sides of your demo to shield people from flying glass bits / stop them reaching in and touching stuff. Those perspex panels are a great thing to use for this, and can be easily folded flat afterwards.

The "everything is hot, please do not touch" sign is a definite "must". Also, leave yourself time at the end for your rods to cool down before you have to pack up, and take your vermiculite / bubbles in a container which can be lidded with the mandrels still in it if you don't want it all over the car!

Enjoy!
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

richardnash666

Just wondering if it could be worth using ACE202 sheet instead of perspex so that the attendees can see your beadwork better?

http://www.abrimagery.com/store/index.php/bench-shields-ace-202-c-433_17_257_258_266

It is an american site but does sell sheet but at a price