Portable lampworking demonstration

Started by Pam, July 14, 2013, 10:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pam

I am looking to do a demonstration in a open area craft fair. Bar in the obvious safty precautions
1) Flash back valves
2) screen betreen flame and audience
3)Safety goggles

are ther any specific health and safety issues required in order to demonstrate.

Any constructive advice welcomed please.
Thanks you x

Shirley

Cables taped down or out of the way. Also check whether they require items to be PAT tested. It's not compulsory any longer, but some venues still want it.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

♥♥Tan♥♥

I used to have a sign that read: Everything is hot or sharp please don't touch!

It is amazing the amount of people who reach for a rod that has just come out of the flame even with a screen ::)

Dragonfire Glass

They'd need very long arms to reach my kit over the screen  :D

Pam

Sounds good advice. Will get going on the sign.

June

We have a safety notice re standing back and keeping children under control, too!  :)

kerensky

I have just demo'd and taught in a school, over 13's....

All of the above really + make sure you are covered with Public Liability Insurance too.

If you have a spare bod to give you a hand - ie:  keep the public at bay - could be useful and then you can relax a bit more :-)

Sounds fab - enjoy

Kerensky.

Nick

Pam

Thanks all, the extinguisher is on the list.

Studio Girl

HI Pam are you doing the demo locally

Pam

Hopefully, just need to gain permission from the event organisers and the people who rent out the land. I am trying hard to work out on what grounds they are likely to refuse so that I am prepared. I an thinking their lack of knowledge will probably be enough on that account  ::)
Soon as I get the thumbs up I will confirm with you Margaret. 

Lush!

Quote from: Shirley on July 14, 2013, 11:27:49 AM
Cables taped down or out of the way. Also check whether they require items to be PAT tested. It's not compulsory any longer, but some venues still want it.

That's interesting!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

jammie

Can someone tell me with a hothead set up how far from torch to the safety screen to be safe, thankyou!  :)

Barnacle Bay

Some  fairs want a £5million public liability go for £10 million at least for demos..

mel

You may need to do a risk assessment too, this may be a requirement by the organisers. I have one somewhere if you need one, to give you a start anyhow. I demo every year with the full torch set up with oxycon and propane. We bought some hazard tape (black and yellow stripes) and taped round the edge of a plastic screen which we made. Most kids were ok, but some of the younger ones tended to try to lean on the screen, so it needs to be reasonably sturdy.

The other thing is that once behind the screen, you can't hear anything that anyone says, so I put up a wee note too, to that effect so folks don't think I'm rude not answering questions. An assistant is definitely a good idea.

It's great fun though, I thoroughly enjoy my public weekend and I think it's important that folk get to see how hand-made things are hand-made!

Laughinglass Lampwork Beads