DIY Microwave Kiln

Started by Redhotsal, June 11, 2013, 06:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhotsal

Check this out - it's fascinating. This chap's other vids are also interesting (especially if you like graphite!)  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvCuGmRWL8

Moira HFG

This is brilliant, what a good idea!

Barnacle Bay

Thanks for sharing this link.

I've seen for a small one they retail at £30 to £40 + each!
I recall I saw a large one like this chap has made costing (rrp) £130, and this chaps done it for a fiver - just goes to shows!

GaysieMay

What a great guy - easy to listen to and very clear instructions. Thanks for posting Sal x
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

c-glass

Oh wow that's brilliant!!

DragonArtGlass

That's great, thanks Sally.

GorgeousGlassGifts

Thanks Sally.
I treated myself to a microwave hotpot in Glass Studio Supplies' January sale; now I've got an idea as to why it does what it does!
Now I've just got to master consistent results with it.....

Nicknack

Quote from: GorgeousGlassGifts on January 23, 2015, 10:36:31 PM
Thanks Sally.
I treated myself to a microwave hotpot in Glass Studio Supplies' January sale; now I've got an idea as to why it does what it does!
Now I've just got to master consistent results with it.....

I started with one of those. The trick is to keep looking, as soon as you think it's starting to get hot enough, and check every 30 seconds or so. Stop it when it's how you want it. Also, if you're making earrings or anything you want more than one of, do them together. When I got my kiln I didn't know you could do more than one piece at a time, and I could never get earrings to match. I asked the lady I bought it from if you could do 2 at once, and she said she didn't know, but try it. I did, and it worked. I told her about it, and she wrote a tutorial in a beading magazine about how to do it. She must have tried it out after I mentioned it. If I want earrings I usually do 6 or 7 the same at once, and then I get (hopefully) 3 pairs.

Nick

GorgeousGlassGifts

Hi Nick.
I know what you mean about hopefully getting some matching pairs...
As one of my test firings I put in three identical pieces together (each was 2 layers of 3mm Bullseye), all the same distance from the centre of the Hotpot and at the same angle. One came out full fused, one tack fused and one somewhere in between!!

oimillie

That video is fantastic do you think you could use it to mend a microwave kiln?